Capacitors in Series: Intuitive Understanding Question

In summary: So in series the capacitors add together and the total capacitance is less than the individual capacitances.
matangi7
I understand algebraically that when capacitors are in series, the total capacitance is less than any individual capacitance, but I do not understand this intuitively. How can this be possible? Shouldn't more capacitors equal more capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org
matangi7 said:
I understand algebraically that when capacitors are in series, the total capacitance is less than any individual capacitance, but I do not understand this intuitively. How can this be possible? Shouldn't more capacitors equal more capacitance?
That's exactly like saying that more resistors should mean more resistance, but when they are in parallel it is actually LESS resistance, it's only more resistance when they are in series. Similarly, capacitors in parallel means more capacitance and in series means less.

Likes cnh1995
matangi7 said:
I understand algebraically that when capacitors are in series, the total capacitance is less than any individual capacitance, but I do not understand this intuitively.
Maybe the energy approach could make it intuitive for you. Compare the total energies stored in two capacitors in both series and parallel connections, keeping the source voltage constant. Which one gives more stored energy?

It's easiest to understand capacitors in parallel. The capacitance of a single capacitor is proportional to the area of the plates so putting two capacitors is a bit like increasing the area of the plates of a single capacitor. It's slightly more complicated if the capacitors aren't identical but the general idea is that in parallel the capacitances add together.

As for series.. Capacitors have an impedance (Z). If you haven't studied impedance yet then think of it a bit like resistance for AC signals. It actually depends on the frequency of the AC signal but perhaps not worry about that for the moment. The impedance of a capacitor is inversely proportional to the capacitance (eg 1/C) so the larger the capacitance the lower the impedance and the better it conducts an AC signal. When putting two capacitors in series the total impedance is the sum of the two individual impedances so Zt = Z1 + Z2. In terms of capacitance that becomes 1/Ct = I/C1 + 1/C2.

Related to Capacitors in Series: Intuitive Understanding Question

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric.

2. How do capacitors work?

Capacitors work by accumulating electric charge on the plates when connected to a power source. When the power source is disconnected, the capacitor can release this stored charge in a controlled manner.

3. What is the purpose of connecting capacitors in series?

Connecting capacitors in series allows for an increase in the overall capacitance. This means that more charge can be stored on the combined capacitors, and they can also handle higher voltages.

4. How does connecting capacitors in series affect the total capacitance?

When capacitors are connected in series, the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance. This means that the total capacitance will be less than the capacitance of the individual capacitors.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitors in series?

Capacitors in series are commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted signals, stabilize power supplies, and store energy for a short period of time. They are also used in high-voltage applications such as power transmission and electric motors.