Question regarding current & magnetic field/force

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field produced by a moving electron at a given position. The Biot-Savart law can be used to calculate the contribution of a small current element (in this case, moving charges) to the magnetic field at a specific location. By converting the current element in the law to dqv, the magnitude of the magnetic field at the given position can be calculated. No limits are needed for the integration, as it is done in its differential form.
Callix

Homework Statement

An electron moves in a straight line at a speed of [itex]6.0 \times 10^7[/itex]m/s. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a position 0.005m behind the electron and 0.015m below its line of motion.

Homework Equations

[itex]F=qv \times B[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

image.jpg

I'm not really even sure if I drew the scenario correctly.. I figured that since there is a flow/movement of an electron, that it will current some sort of current in that direction (well technically, in the opposite direction to that of the electron's velocity vector). So then I modeled the field as if there is a current in a wire. The way I answered the questions (which need checking...) was by using the diagram that I drew..

a). I said that [itex]F=qvB sin(\theta)[/itex] but I'm not sure what the angle is.. If the electron produces a magnetic field, won't it extend almost forever to the left? So that would mean that the angle is 180 between v and B?

b). [itex]B=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{(4\pi \times 10^{-7})I}{2\pi (0.015)} =1.33 \times 10^{-5}I[/itex]
It's all probably wrong.. If someone could give a detailed explanation as to what's going on and what how I may proceed, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this instance you're not looking for the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field, nor the field that produces a given force on a moving charge. There are no forces involved.

The "other" handy law dealing with magnetic fields is the Biot-Savart law which tells you the contribution of a small current element (moving charges!) to the magnetic field at some location away from the current element.

With a little "physicist's calculus" manipulation of differential elements you should be able to convince yourself that the ##\vec{I}~dL## in that law can be converted to ##dq~\vec{v}##.

gneill said:
In this instance you're not looking for the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field, nor the field that produces a given force on a moving charge. There are no forces involved.

Okay, that makes sense.

gneill said:
The "other" handy law dealing with magnetic fields is the Biot-Savart law which tells you the contribution of a small current element (moving charges!) to the magnetic field at some location away from the current element.

With a little "physicist's calculus" manipulation of differential elements you should be able to convince yourself that the ##\vec{I}~dL## in that law can be converted to ##dq~\vec{v}##.

So how does that relationship allow me to obtain the magnetic fields?

Callix said:
So how does that relationship allow me to obtain the magnetic fields?
Because you have a charge moving with some velocity and the Biot-Savart rule will then tell you the magnetic field it produces at a given location... which is what the question is asking for.

gneill said:
Because you have a charge moving with some velocity and the Biot-Savart rule will then tell you the magnetic field it produces at a given location... which is what the question is asking for.

Okay, so if I understand what you're saying, then that means that

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int \frac{\vec{v}|r| \sin(\theta)}{|r|^3}dq= (\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi})\frac{v \sin(\theta)}{|r|^2}q[/tex]

I think you want the magnitude of the velocity vector in your first integration, but the result looks good for giving you the magnitude of the field.

You could go with the vector version and get a vector result. The "dB" in the Biot-Savart law is a vector element, and integrating over the dq leaves everything else as a constant if you're dealing with a point charge. That would leave a ##\vec{v} \times \vec{r}## cross product in the result:

$$\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} q \frac{\vec{v} \times \vec{r}}{|r|^3}$$

gneill said:
I think you want the magnitude of the velocity vector in your first integration, but the result looks good for giving you the magnitude of the field.

You could go with the vector version and get a vector result. The "dB" in the Biot-Savart law is a vector element, and integrating over the dq leaves everything else as a constant if you're dealing with a point charge. That would leave a ##\vec{v} \times \vec{r}## cross product in the result:

$$\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_o}{4 \pi} q \frac{\vec{v} \times \vec{r}}{|r|^3}$$

Okay! And what are the limits for the integral? Are they in terms of r or in terms of q since I integrated dq? Or do I not need limits?

Callix said:
Okay! And what are the limits for the integral? Are they in terms of r or in terms of q since I integrated dq? Or do I not need limits?
No limits required. It's an indefinite integral in this case. On the left hand side dB becomes B (vectors) and on the right the dq becomes q. Everything else is a constant.

There really is no integral, the Biot-Savat law is used in its differential form:
dB = (μ0/4π) i dl x r / |r|2
with i dl replaced by q v. This is valid since v dt = dl so i dl becomes (dq/dt)(v dt) = v dq = qv. The electron is here approximated as a differential amount of charge.
I think this is essentially what gneill was saying but I thought I'd paraphrase it anyway.

Related to Question regarding current & magnetic field/force

1. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field/force?

The relationship between current and magnetic field/force is described by the right-hand rule. When current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined by pointing your thumb in the direction of the current flow and curling your fingers. The direction your fingers curl is the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does the strength of the current affect the magnetic field/force?

The strength of the current directly affects the strength of the magnetic field/force. The greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field/force will be. This is because the motion of the electrons in the current creates the magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by changing the direction of the current flow. This is because the magnetic field is created by the movement of the electrons in the current.

4. What is the difference between a uniform magnetic field and a non-uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction at all points, while a non-uniform magnetic field has varying strength and direction at different points. A uniform magnetic field is typically created by a straight current-carrying wire, while a non-uniform magnetic field is created by a curved or angled current-carrying wire.

5. How can the magnetic field be used in technology?

The magnetic field has many practical applications in technology. It is used in motors and generators to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards. The magnetic field is also used in medical technology, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body.