Question: physics research budget

In summary: Travel is another 20-30% (though admittedly, this varies a lot depending on the country and the type of research). Meeting expenses (conference fees, hotel, etc.) make up the final 10-15%.In summary, the average university physics professor spends about $30,000 annually on consumable items and $50,000 on equipment. The costs vary depending on the research area, but are typically around 10-15% of the direct cost of a research proposal.
zxlk123
I was wondering if anyone happened to know roughly how much does the average university physics professor spend each year on supplies for performing their experiments. I'm assuming that experimentalists would on average be spending a lot more on equipment than theory people who might only be buying computers and software, and that hard condensed matter people would need more money than soft matter people, but what exactly would the costs typically be? This question is assuming that the costs for paying for a grad students salary/tuition, prof. salary, travel/meeting costs and stuff like that are excluded. But that things like the cost for gloves, chemicals, equipment, electricity, etc. are included. It might be best to list the costs on a per grad student basis since many professors have more than one grad student and so they might spend more. Also, how does it vary between each particular research area, for example, superconductor research, plasma research, quantum dot research, liquid crystal research, particle research, etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
There might be some very small, isolated lab experiments where such a cost estimate can be done, but in general I don't think this is possible.

Electricity is rarely calculated per research group (and what about floor lighting?), equipment is often shared with other groups (especially the expensive items). Equipment can be made specifically for this group (or for a set of groups), without a cost estimate for the working time of the engineers for this specific project. How do you calculate the costs of office space?

Some research groups need expensive high-end equipment everywhere, while other groups can work with cheaper equipment.
Some groups don't even have their own experiments, but analyze data coming from somewhere else. How do you include the costs of those experiments in the calculation? Sometimes the groups have to pay for that, sometimes they have to contribute to the experiment, sometimes they get it for free, or various other models.

In particle physics, salaries and travel costs are the most expensive parts.

Yeah I suppose electricity costs would be hard to determine so I guess nix that. Also, regarding shared equipment don't count that such as would be found in a cleanroom unless there are cleanroom fees. I guess I'm mainly curious about just how much a professor typically ends up spending on having a single graduate student do there project each year minus the salary and travel costs in dollars $. I realize its difficult to be exact but I'm just interested in an estimate.

An additional grad student is cheaper than the first one, as some setup will be there already.

I think you are looking for something much more specific than the first post suggests?

Typically non-time costs for experimental work (i.e. not including the cost of staff or overhead) in a project is 10-15% which in the UK would translate to something like £30-50K per year. The exact amount will of course depend on the work, but this is the range often used by funding agencies etc.
This also excludes the cost of capital equipment (i.e. pieces of kit that cost more than a few thousand pounds).

I don't know if I'm representative (experimental research), but over a typical year I spend about $30k on consumable items: primarily chemicals and cell culture supplies. Equipment (IIRC, defined as a durable item with per-item cost greater than $5k) is a separate budget line. Likewise, utilities (electricity, water, A/C, LN2, hazardous waste disposal, etc.) are not included.

By far, the most expensive part of any research is *time*. Student stipends and salaries probably constitute 60-70% of my proposal direct cost budgets.

Related to Question: physics research budget

1. What is a physics research budget?

A physics research budget is the estimated amount of money needed to conduct a specific research project or study within the field of physics. It includes costs for equipment, materials, labor, and other expenses related to the research.

2. How is a physics research budget determined?

A physics research budget is determined by carefully considering the objectives of the research project and the resources needed to achieve those objectives. This may include consulting with experts, conducting cost analyses, and estimating the time and resources required for each phase of the research.

3. What factors affect a physics research budget?

Several factors can affect a physics research budget, including the complexity of the research, the availability and cost of equipment and materials, the number of researchers involved, and the duration of the project. External factors such as funding source and economic conditions may also influence the budget.

4. How can a researcher manage a physics research budget effectively?

To effectively manage a physics research budget, a researcher should carefully plan and monitor all expenses, regularly review and adjust the budget as needed, and communicate with team members to ensure that everyone is aware of the budget constraints. It is also important to seek alternative funding sources and make cost-saving decisions whenever possible.

5. What are some common challenges with physics research budgets?

Some common challenges with physics research budgets include unexpected expenses, difficulty securing funding, changing research objectives, and limited resources for equipment and materials. It is important for researchers to be flexible and proactive in addressing these challenges in order to stay within the budget and successfully complete the research project.