Question on Von Mises Stress Envelope

In summary, the Von Mises Stress Ellipse is used to calculate the stress on a component that is subject to more than just an axial stress. The resulting equation is an ellipse, which can be used when one of the stresses is set to zero. In the case of a pipe with three stresses, setting the tangential stress to zero results in four quadrants. In quadrants I and III, a higher von-Mises stress is needed to yield the pipe because of the positive axial stress. In quadrants II and IV, the shear stress is higher and more detrimental for ductile materials.
masshakar
I have a question about the Von Mises Stress Ellipse:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Tresca_stress_2D.png

I understand that this equation if a component is subject to more than just an axial stress, the effect must be account for. I also understand that the ellipse is the result if setting one of the stresses to zero; the resulting equation is the equation for an ellipse.

Let's say that we have three stresses acting on a pipe: radial, axial, and tangential. Let's set tangential stress to zero.
-If you have positive radial (towards the center) and positive axial stress (tensile), why would you need a higher von-Mises stress to yield the pipe (see Quadrant I)?
-If you have negative radial (away from the center) and positive axial stress (compressive), why would you need a higher von-Mises stress to yield the pipe (see Quadrant III)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
masshakar: Shear stress is higher in quadrants II and IV. Shear stress is relatively more detrimental than normal stress (quadrants I and III), for ductile materials.

Related to Question on Von Mises Stress Envelope

What is Von Mises stress and why is it important in engineering?

Von Mises stress is a measure of the internal stress state of a material. It is important in engineering because it takes into account the combined effect of all the stresses acting on a material, rather than just the stresses along a single plane. This allows for a more accurate prediction of when a material will fail.

How is the Von Mises stress calculated?

The Von Mises stress is calculated using the principal stresses, which are the maximum and minimum stresses acting on a material. It is calculated as the square root of three times the sum of the squares of the principal stresses.

What is the significance of the Von Mises stress envelope?

The Von Mises stress envelope is a graphical representation of the Von Mises stress at different points on a material. It is used to determine the maximum stress that a material can withstand before failure. By comparing the Von Mises stress at different points on the envelope, engineers can assess the safety and reliability of a material under different loading conditions.

How does the Von Mises stress envelope differ from the Mohr's circle?

The Von Mises stress envelope and Mohr's circle are both graphical representations of stress states in a material. However, the Von Mises stress envelope is two-dimensional and only considers the maximum and minimum stresses at a single point, while Mohr's circle is three-dimensional and takes into account all the principal stresses at a point.

What are some applications of the Von Mises stress envelope in engineering?

The Von Mises stress envelope is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft, to ensure they can withstand the stresses they will experience in real-world conditions. It is also used in material selection and failure prediction in manufacturing processes.