Question on the nature of spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a mechanism in which the fabric of spacetime is made up of expanding cells, and how this could potentially explain phenomena such as dark energy and dark matter. The discussion also touches on the interconnectedness of gravity, space, and time, and the role of particles in producing and absorbing space. However, the concept of cells in space and how they would affect measurements of distance is still unclear.
Irish Dave
maybe somebody out there has some thoughts on this...

is it maybe possible that some mechanism is in place such that the fabric of spacetime, reduced to 'cells' of dimensions in keeping with Planck length, is itself expanding? such an effect would lead to each 'cell' being capable of being either occupied or not occupied by a quantum particle while at the same time the cells themselves expand. This would lead to ever greater distances between objects on cosmic scales, but locally adjacent cells stay adjacent. I'm aware that the scale of everything enlarging in unison would lead to the same observations from any single point, but not if what was important for measurements was the number of cells traveled by information (e.g light), not the distance through expanding cells. This is as far as I can reason through with this line of thinking in an attempt to maybe understand the nature of dark energy, leading to cosmic 'repulsion' and dark matter, an apparent excess of gravity. Could anybody lead me towards a better reasoning of this, or is it way of the mark of current possibilities for an explanation of these, and other (wave/particle duality) phenomena?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right track. Here are my two pennies.

1. Gravity/Space/Time mechanics are tied.

2. I do not believe that spacetime is a fabric or property of the universe itself.

3. Particles both produce and absorb space. The rate of production and/or abortion is affected by its velocity and by its closeness to other particles.

4. Time is the speed at which each individual particle executes its innate physical functions.

5. Gravity is when the net abortion of space is greater than the production in an area.

6. Dark matter/dark energy is when the net production of space is greater that its abortion at large ares. The surplus space created by a galaxy extends out from the galaxy and pushes other galaxies away and possibly compresses the galaxy itself.

3. Particles both produce and absorb space. The rate of production and/or abortion is affected by its velocity and by its closeness to other particles.

5. Gravity is when the net abortion of space is greater than the production in an area.

I have never heard anything like this.

6. Dark matter/dark energy is when the net production of space is greater that its abortion at large ares. The surplus space created by a galaxy extends out from the galaxy and pushes other galaxies away and possibly compresses the galaxy itself.

Dark matter is likely to be particles that were created during the big bang that simply don't interact through the electromagnetic force. There are a number of possible candidate particles but nothing conclusive.

Dark energy is anyone's guess really.

OP
This would lead to ever greater distances between objects on cosmic scales, but locally adjacent cells stay adjacent.

I'm not sure that follows. If space is made of cells, and the cells are expanding but the only thing that matters for measurements is the number of cells crossed then how does that effect the measurement of the distance of celestial objects?

Related to Question on the nature of spacetime

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is the fabric of the universe that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum. It is the basis of our understanding of the physical world and how objects interact with each other.

2. How did we discover the existence of spacetime?

The concept of spacetime was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity. Through mathematical equations and observations, he proposed that the force of gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

3. What is the relationship between spacetime and gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime is not a static, fixed entity, but rather a dynamic, flexible one. The presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars, causes a curvature in spacetime, and this curvature is what we experience as gravity.

4. Can spacetime be warped or distorted?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime can be warped or distorted by the presence of massive objects. This is why the path of light bends when it passes near a massive object like a star, and it is also the reason why we experience time dilation near black holes.

5. How does the understanding of spacetime impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of spacetime has revolutionized our understanding of the universe, as it provides a unified framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy. It has helped us explain phenomena such as gravity, the expansion of the universe, and the bending of light. Our understanding of spacetime is crucial in our exploration and study of the universe and its origins.