Question on quantum entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of information being exchanged through quantum entanglement at faster-than-light speeds. However, it is clarified that this does not actually involve useful or meaningful information transfer, but rather a random event. The concept of a different gravitational field or spacetime geometry is also brought up, but without any concrete evidence or connection to the phenomenon of entanglement. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the confusion and speculation surrounding the topic of entanglement and its relationship with general relativity.
headneophyte
I am not a physicist but felt compelled to create an account to pose a question/idea. Don't beat me up over this please...

I was reading on Quantum Entanglement and how entangled particles seem to pass information between them at "faster than light" speeds. Now, given that entanglement is an experimentally verified and accepted property of nature (from what I have read), is it possible that this exchange of information is occurring on a level of physics with a different gravitational field than we experience?

After reading on Spacetime (https://web.archive.org/web/20130424041627/http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/spacetime.html) is it possible this "information" is simply being passed on a level that simply appears to be instantaneous to us but is still within standard physics? Simply said, is it traveling faster than light in relation to us?

The basic principle is that because of the curvature of spacetime around a black hole, the amount of "distance" a beam of light has to cover is greater near a black hole. However, to an observer in that gravitational field, light must appear to always be 300,000 km/sec, time has to slow down for that individual as compared to someone outside that gravitational field as related by the time/distance relationship of speed.

I hope I am being clear in this question/idea, as I am honestly looking for a serious answer.

Or maybe they have accounted for this in all the entanglement experiments and it's just not covered in any of the papers discussing the topic I have found.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get from entanglement to different gravitational field?
The linked article has nothing to do with entanglement.

Entanglement does not pass any useful information FTL. That is, it cannot be used to send meaningful signals. SOMETHING happens FTL (instantaneously, apparently) but it's a random event and can only be verified with sub-c information transfer.

EDIT: this is, by the way, perfectly normal confusion. I think "FTL information transfer" is the first thing we all think of when first exposed to entanglement and before we quite understand it. Once you "get" what's happening, it's a non-issue.

To add to what's already been said:

1. Experiments have shown that any non-instantaneous FTL effect associated with entanglement would need to be at least 10,000c and perhaps at least 100,000c.

2. Although ordinary quantum mechanics predicts this effect, it does not give any connection to general relativity (and therefore no connection to gravity). It is essentially predicted to be instantaneous in all reference frames.

3. Naturally there could be spacetime geometry we are not aware of. However, without some specific hypothesis to test, such would be purely speculation. There is nothing like that would fit into current models past what is already known.

Likes bhobba

Related to Question on quantum entanglement

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement occur?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their states are linked and will remain linked even if they are separated by large distances.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the foundations of quantum mechanics.

4. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday objects?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not observable in everyday objects. It requires highly controlled experimental conditions and specialized equipment to observe and study.

5. Is quantum entanglement a form of communication?

No, quantum entanglement is not a form of communication. It cannot be used to transmit information or messages between particles. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics that allows particles to become connected in a way that their states are correlated.