Question on surface integral of curl

In summary, the homework statement is saying that F is a function that takes in three variables x, y, z and it calculates the integral of a vector function over a region near the origin. However, it is impossible to evaluate the surface integral due to the integration within a sine function. Additionally, the divergence theorem does not apply to the surface integral because it is a vector function.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let F be [tex]F = ( x^2 z^2 ) i + (sin xyz) j + (e^x z) k.[/tex][tex]Find \int\int \nabla \times F \cdot n dS[/tex]

where the region E is above the cone [tex]z^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex] and inside the sphere centered at (0,0,1) and with radius 1. (so it is [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1).[/tex]. I know that they intersect at z = 1, z = 0. So the boundary is at z = 1.

Homework Equations

So I know that I can apply Stokes Theorem here or evaluate the surface integral directly.

If I try Stokes Theorem, I apply it to the boundary [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1[/tex], which can be parametrized by [tex]r(\theta) = cos(\theta) i + sin(\theta) j + k, r'(\theta) = -sin(\theta) i + cos(\theta) j + 0 k[/tex]

But when I try [tex]F(r(\theta)) \cdot r'(\theta)[/tex], I get [tex]\int_0^{2 \pi} -sin(\theta) cos(\theta)^2 + cos(\theta) sin( cos(\theta) sin(\theta)). [/tex]. Which is pretty much impossible to evaluate, since I never heard of integrating a sine function within a sine function

as for trying to evaluate the surface integral directly... I get the cross product which is...

[tex]\nabla \times [tex]F[/tex][tex] = (-x y cos(xyz))i + (2x^2 z - e^x z)j + (y z cos(xyz) k).[/tex]

(it should read \nabla \times F but my edit doesn't change the tex...)

So I try to evaluate the surface integral through the northern hemisphere. Of [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z-1)^2 = 1)[/tex], I get...

[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x} = 2x, \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} = 2y[/tex]

So...

[tex]P \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- Q \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} + R[/tex]
[tex]= 2x xy cos(xyz) - 2y 2x^2 z + 2y e^y z + yz cos(xyz)[/tex]... which is like totally impossible to evaluate with a surface integral.

So what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another question incidental to this:

div (curl) F = 0. But yet, Stokes Theorem applies to a vector function. Is there any fundamental difference between [tex]\int\int \nabla \times F \cdot dS[/tex] and [tex]\int\int F \cdot dS[/tex] when both are vector functions? Yet, the divergence theorem applies to the second one, when [tex]\int\int F \cdot dS = \int\int\int div F dV[/tex]. If there is no fundamental difference between [tex]\nabla \times F \cdot dS[/tex] and [tex]F \cdot dS[/tex], then why does the divergence theorem work for the latter but not the former? If it works for the former, then [tex]\int\int \nabla \times F \cdot dS = \int\int\int div \nabla \times F = 0[/tex] (but this is clearly not the case, otherwise Stokes' Theorem would be useless. Can anyone please clarify the issue to me? Thanks

bump...

Related to Question on surface integral of curl

1. What is a surface integral of curl?

A surface integral of curl is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the circulation of a vector field on a surface. It represents the net flow of a vector field over a given surface.

2. How is the surface integral of curl different from a line integral of curl?

The surface integral of curl is calculated over a two-dimensional surface, while a line integral of curl is calculated along a one-dimensional curve. The surface integral of curl also takes into account the direction of the surface, while a line integral of curl does not.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the surface integral of curl?

The surface integral of curl has a physical interpretation as the amount of rotation or circulation of a vector field on a given surface. It is often used in physics to calculate the flow of fluids or electric currents on a surface.

4. How is the surface integral of curl used in real-world applications?

The surface integral of curl has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface, which is important in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other fields. It is also used in the study of fluid flow, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena.

5. How is the surface integral of curl related to other mathematical concepts?

The surface integral of curl is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as the gradient, divergence, and line integral. These concepts are all part of vector calculus, which is used to study the properties of vector fields and their behavior in different dimensions.