Question on Sigma Algebras and Non-Finite Sets

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sigma
In summary, we are looking for a set X with two sigma-algebras, \mathcal{A}_1 and \mathcal{A}_2 , where the union of \mathcal{A}_1 and \mathcal{A}_2 is not a sigma-algebra. We can use a simple example like X = {1,2,3} with \mathcal{A}_1 = {∅,{1,2,3},{1},{2,3}} and \mathcal{A}_2 = {∅,{1,2,3},{2},{1,3}} to show that this union fails the condition of countable additivity.
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

Find a set X such that [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebras where both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] consists of subsets of X. We want to show that there exists such a collection such that [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2[/itex] is not a [itex]\sigma[/itex] - algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I'm thinking. I feel like for sure we need to fail the condition of Countable additivity.

I'm using a simple example like [itex]X = \{1,2,3\}[/itex] and I chose something [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{1\}, \{2,3\} \right\} [/itex]

and [itex]\mathcal{A}_2 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{2\}, \{1,3\} \right\} [/itex]

I have shown that both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex] \sigma [/itex] algebras.

Am I on the right track here? Should I think of non-finite sets?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:

Homework Statement

Find a set X such that [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebras where both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] consists of subsets of X. We want to show that there exists such a collection such that [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2[/itex] is not a [itex]\sigma[/itex] - algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I'm thinking. I feel like for sure we need to fail the condition of Countable additivity.

I'm using a simple example like [itex]X = \{1,2,3\}[/itex] and I chose something [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{1\}, \{2,3\} \right\} [/itex]

and [itex]\mathcal{A}_2 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{2\}, \{1,3\} \right\} [/itex]

I have shown that both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex] \sigma [/itex] algebras.

Am I on the right track here? Should I think of non-finite sets?

No, no need for infinite sets. Can you show the union of those two is not a sigma algebra?

OK I'm going to do all the four steps

[itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 = \{ \emptyset, \{ 1,2,3 \}, \{ 1 \}, \{ 2,3 \}, \{2 \} , \{ 1,3\} \}[/itex]

1) it is clear that [itex] \emptyset, \{1,2,3\} [/itex]are in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

2) so if [itex]A \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex], then [itex]A^c \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex].

I think this is satisfied, e.g. if [itex] A = \{ 1 \}[/itex] , then [itex]A^c = \{ 2,3 \} [/itex] and both are in [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

3) if [itex] B_1, ... B_n \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] then both

[itex] \bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i [/itex] and [itex] \bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i [/itex] are both in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

I think this is it! I just came up with it now,

so if I take [itex]A_1 = \{ 2,3 \} [/itex] and [itex] A_2 \{1,3\} [/itex] then the intersection is [itex] \{ 3 \} [/itex] and that's not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]. Is this right? so it fails the condition that [itex] \bigcup B_i[/itex] is not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

Sorry I meant [itex] \bigcap B_i [/itex] is not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

BrainHurts said:
Sorry I meant [itex] \bigcap B_i [/itex] is not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

Sure. You can get {3} by intersections or unions and complements of sets in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] but it's not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex].

Likes 1 person

Related to Question on Sigma Algebras and Non-Finite Sets

What is a Sigma Algebra?

A Sigma Algebra is a mathematical concept that is used in measure theory to describe a collection of sets that have certain properties. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (σ) and is a type of algebra that is closed under countable unions, intersections, and complements.

Why are Sigma Algebras important?

Sigma Algebras are important because they allow for the mathematical definition of probability and measure, which are fundamental concepts in many fields of science. They also provide a rigorous framework for dealing with infinite sets and probabilities, and are used in various areas of mathematics such as statistics, economics, and physics.

What are the main properties of a Sigma Algebra?

The main properties of a Sigma Algebra are closure under countable unions, intersections, and complements. This means that if a collection of sets belongs to a Sigma Algebra, then the union, intersection, and complement of those sets also belong to the Sigma Algebra. Another important property is that the empty set and the whole space must also be elements of the Sigma Algebra.

How is a Sigma Algebra different from a regular algebra?

A Sigma Algebra is different from a regular algebra in that it allows for countable operations, whereas a regular algebra only allows for finite operations. This means that a Sigma Algebra can handle infinite sets, which is necessary for dealing with probabilities and measures. Additionally, a Sigma Algebra must contain the empty set and the whole space, while a regular algebra may not necessarily have these elements.

What are some applications of Sigma Algebras in science?

Sigma Algebras have many applications in science, particularly in fields that deal with probabilities and measures. In physics, Sigma Algebras are used in quantum mechanics to describe observables and their corresponding probabilities. In economics, they are used in game theory to model decision-making under uncertainty. In statistics, they are used to define probability distributions and statistical tests. In biology, they are used to model population dynamics and evolutionary processes. These are just a few examples of the many applications of Sigma Algebras in science.