Question on page 7 Flander's book on differential forms

In summary: This is the universal mapping property of the tensor product, which is used to define the concept of tensor products in the first place. In summary, on page 7, two conditions for a linear function on the space of p-vectors are given, which are based on the properties listed on page 6. These properties allow for a characterization of linear functions on p-vectors in terms of components. The axiomatic characterization for p-spaces is based on these two properties and there is a 1-1 correspondence between multilinear and alternating functions and linear functions on p-vectors. This can be seen as a universal mapping property, which is used to define the concept of tensor products.
Goldbeetle
On page 7 it gives two conditions for a linear function on the space of p-vectors built from a linear function on the underlying L space. I do not understand! Does anybody ?
Then it continues by saying that the two properties are an axiomatic characterization on the space of p-vectors. So, if I understand correctly, the two properties above for linear functions are true iff the axioms for the p-space on page 5-6 are true? Correct? There's no proof. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldbeetle said:
On page 7 it gives two conditions for a linear function on the space of p-vectors built from a linear function on the underlying L space. I do not understand! Does anybody ?
Then it continues by saying that the two properties are an axiomatic characterization on the space of p-vectors. So, if I understand correctly, the two properties above for linear functions are true iff the axioms for the p-space on page 5-6 are true? Correct? There's no proof. Does anybody know where I can find it?

The p-vectors form a vector space and satisfy - by definition - certain algebaic properties. These are tersely listed on page 6 - properties (i),(ii), and (iii).

These three properties allow one to characterize linear functions on this vector space in terms of the components of the p-vector. On page 7 he is saying - a linear map on the space of p vectors is a multilinear map on the product space, VxV...V ( p times)
that is also alternating. This you can just prove by calculation.

For instance, take the case of 2 vectors.

Keep in mind that f(as^t + bu^w) = af(s^t) + bf(u^w) because f is linear

f(u^w) = f(-w^u) because u^w = - w^u by (iii)
= -f(w^u) because f is linear. So f viewed as a function,g, of the product space VxV satisfies the relation g(v,w) = -g(w,v) i.e. g is alternating.

f(u^ax + by) = f(u^ax + u^by) = f(au^x + bu^y) by (i) and (iii)
= af(u^x) + bf(u^y) because f is linear. Thus g(u,ax+by) = ag(u,x) + bg(u,y) i.e. g is linear in the second variable. The exact same argument shows that g is also linear in the first variable. Thus g is multilinear.

Thanks. What about the axiomatic characterization?

Goldbeetle said:
Thanks. What about the axiomatic characterization?

Well if you start with a multilinear alternating function then it determines a linear function on p-vectors. So there is a 1-1 correspondence. This means that you can take multilinear and alternating as axioms.

Just to comment that this turning of multilinear maps in one space into linear maps
looks like a tensor product of vector spaces.

Bacle said:
Just to comment that this turning of multilinear maps in one space into linear maps
looks like a tensor product of vector spaces.

The tensor product may be defined exactly in this way.

Actually, what Flanders seems to say is that that property of f and g can be used as characterization of p-spaces, that is, for all and only p-spaces f and g are related has he says. Am I right? If so, how come?

Goldbeetle said:
Actually, what Flanders seems to say is that that property of f and g can be used as characterization of p-spaces, that is, for all and only p-spaces f and g are related has he says. Am I right? If so, how come?

The relation of f and g is called a universal a mapping property.

The p spaces are uniquely determined through the conversion of a multi-linear map on a vector space into a linear map on another vector space.

Related to Question on page 7 Flander's book on differential forms

1. What is the significance of page 7 in Flander's book on differential forms?

Page 7 in Flander's book on differential forms introduces the concept of exterior derivative, which is a fundamental operation in differential forms. It is a key concept in understanding the geometric interpretation of differential forms and their applications in various areas of mathematics and physics.

2. How is the exterior derivative defined on page 7 in Flander's book on differential forms?

The exterior derivative is defined as a mapping from the space of k-forms to the space of (k+1)-forms. It takes in a k-form and outputs a (k+1)-form, which can be thought of as a measure of how much the k-form changes over a small region in space. This operation is denoted by the symbol d and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of differential forms.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the exterior derivative on page 7 in Flander's book on differential forms?

The exterior derivative can be interpreted geometrically as a measure of the infinitesimal change in a differential form over a small region in space. It can also be seen as a way to capture the local features of a differential form and how they vary in different directions.

4. How does the exterior derivative relate to other operations on differential forms mentioned on page 7 in Flander's book?

The exterior derivative is closely related to other operations on differential forms, such as the interior product, wedge product, and Lie derivative. These operations are all fundamental tools in the study of differential forms and their geometric interpretation. The exterior derivative, in particular, is the generalization of the derivative from calculus to differential forms.

5. How does the concept of differential forms on page 7 in Flander's book relate to other areas of mathematics and physics?

Differential forms have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in differential geometry, algebraic topology, and mathematical physics to study a wide range of problems. In particular, the exterior derivative is a crucial tool in understanding the structure of manifolds, vector fields, and differential equations. It also has applications in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and general relativity.