Question on motion of a boat 2

In summary, a boat with a volume of 2m3 has a mass of 200kg when empty. When loaded with 1200kg, its volume submerged increases to 70% of the total volume. A leak develops and water starts to enter the boat at a constant rate of 100kg per minute. The boat can float for 6 minutes before sinking. The minimum force required to lift the sunken boat is 30,000N. When the boat enters a region with air bubbles, the effective density of the water decreases, causing the boat to sink. This effect can also be applied to explain the danger of swimming near a tall waterfall, as the person's density may be greater than the effective density of the water
leena19

Homework Statement

An empty boat floats in water with 10% of its volume submerged,and when it's loaded with 1200kg,the volume submerged will increase to 70% of the total volume.

(1) Calculate the mass of the empty boat
(2) If a leak develops and water starts to enter the boat which is loaded with 1200kg at a constant (average)rate of 100kg per minute,for how long the boat can float before sinking?
(3) what is the minimum force required to lift the sunken boat(without the load )upto the surface of water.Average density of the material of the boat is 2500kgm-3 and the density of water is 1000 kgm^-3
4) The mended boat with another load of 1200kg on board ,while sailing suddenly enters a region where water is uniformly mixed with air bubbles,.If the average vol. of an airbubble is1mm3 & the air bubble concentration is 3.5 *108 m-3,find the effective density of water.Neglect the mass of air.Hence show that the boat will sink.State any assuptions you make
5) Use the effects described in (4) to explainthe danger in the foll. act
'there's a deep pool at the foot of a tall waterfall,.A person starts to swim closer to the foot of the fall'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) U = V[tex]\rho[/tex]g
mg = 1/10 V[tex]\rho[/tex]g --------------1
1200g=6/10 V[tex]\rho[/tex]g--------------2

1/2,
m=mass of boat=200kg ?

2) V= 1200/0.6*10-3
= 2m3

3/10 V[tex]\rho[/tex]g = m'g
m'=600kg, the amount of water needed to sink the boat

therefore,timetaken= 6 minutes ?

3)min.force required to lift the sunken boat,
R = mg - V[tex]\rho[/tex]g
=Vg(d-[tex]\rho[/tex])
=2*10(2500-1000)
=30,000N, i really hope i got this right ?

4) I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find the effective density,
tot. volume of air bubbles = 3.5*108*10-9
= 0.35 m3

effective density? what does it mean really?

The density of boat should be more than density of water to sink

For the assumption part,does it have to do with the surface tension of water being reduced?
or neglecting the increase in density of water as the depth increases?

I hope someone can help
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
leena19 said:
4) I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find the effective density,
tot. volume of air bubbles = 3.5*108*10-9
= 0.35 m3

effective density? what does it mean really?

The density of boat should be more than density of water to sink

For the assumption part,does it have to do with the surface tension of water being reduced?
or neglecting the increase in density of water as the depth increases?

I hope someone can help
Thank you

I only have a minute, and I haven't looked at your previous steps at all. But I wanted to say that by effective density, they mean the density of the water/air mixture taken together as a single unit. Whatever the initial density of the water is, when you have so many air bubbles (0.35m3 you calculate, I didn't check), these air bubbles are going to replace the same volume of water.

Since your neglecting the mass of the air, this means effectively you will have in, say, where you originally had 1m3 of water with some density, you will now have only 0.65 percent of that water mass contributing to the density in the same 1m3 volume. So the density will drop, and you can calculate that.

As for assumptions, well, if you want to use numbers, you need to know the temperature of the water; the density varies slightly based on temperature. Whether or not the water is fresh water or saltwater will also affect the density; I don't get the impression they're asking about this, except for the fact that when I think of a boat in the water, I think of the ocean, not a lake. But I live near an ocean.

Hope this helps, good luck!

leena19 said:
3)min.force required to lift the sunken boat,
R = mg - V[tex]\rho[/tex]g
=Vg(d-[tex]\rho[/tex])
=2*10(2500-1000)
=30,000N, i really hope i got this right ?

2 is the Volume of the material of the boat? If the average density is 2500 kg/m3 and its mass is 200 kg ... it's volume is ...?

Thank you,dotman
Thank you,LowlyPion

Thank you so much for your help!

LowlyPion said:
2 is the Volume of the material of the boat? If the average density is 2500 kg/m3 and its mass is 200 kg ... it's volume is ...?
2/25 or 0.08m3.
I messed up again :(
then,R would be = 2/25*10*1500= 1200N ?

dotman said:
I only have a minute, and I haven't looked at your previous steps at all. But I wanted to say that by effective density, they mean the density of the water/air mixture taken together as a single unit. Whatever the initial density of the water is, when you have so many air bubbles (0.35m3 you calculate, I didn't check), these air bubbles are going to replace the same volume of water.

Since your neglecting the mass of the air, this means effectively you will have in, say, where you originally had 1m3 of water with some density, you will now have only 0.65 percent of that water mass contributing to the density in the same 1m3 volume. So the density will drop, and you can calculate that.

so now the volume of water(without air bubbles)would be,
1-0.35=0.65m3
which would mean the density of water/air mixture=1000*0.65 = 650kgm-3?

As for the density of the boat,
do I divide the total mass of (1200+200) by 2? or by 0.08?
I have a strong feeling it's by 2,but I'm not very sure,
(dividing by 2 ,gives me the density of the boat as 700kgm-3,so since the density of the boat is more than that of water,the boat sinks?)

As for assumptions, well, if you want to use numbers, you need to know the temperature of the water; the density varies slightly based on temperature.
I like this assumption too,which would be to neglect the change in density of water and the boat due to changes in temperature?

5) Use the effects described in (4) to explain the danger in the foll. act
'there's a deep pool at the foot of a tall waterfall,.A person starts to swim closer to the foot of the fall'
If the density of the water mixture is less than the density of the person,
the guy would drown

Related to Question on motion of a boat 2

1. How does the motion of a boat differ from that of a car?

The motion of a boat is influenced by the water's resistance and buoyancy, while a car's motion is primarily affected by friction and gravity.

2. What factors affect the speed of a boat?

The speed of a boat is influenced by the power and efficiency of the engine, the boat's weight and design, and external factors such as wind and water currents.

3. How does the shape of a boat's hull impact its motion?

The shape of a boat's hull creates lift and reduces drag, allowing it to move more efficiently through the water. Different hull designs are optimized for different types of water and activities.

4. How do waves affect the motion of a boat?

Waves can cause a boat to pitch, roll, and yaw, which can affect its stability and speed. The size and direction of the waves, as well as the design of the boat, play a role in how much the motion is affected.

5. How can the motion of a boat be controlled or altered?

The motion of a boat can be controlled through the use of trim tabs, rudders, and other steering mechanisms. The boat's speed and direction can also be altered by adjusting the engine's throttle and the angle of the boat's sails (if applicable).