Physics homework on Hydrostatics

In summary, Hydrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids at rest and their behavior under the influence of external forces. It is related to physics because it involves the application of various laws and principles of physics to understand the properties and behavior of fluids. The key concepts in Hydrostatics include pressure, density, buoyancy, and Pascal's principle. To calculate pressure in a hydrostatics problem, one can use the formula P = ρgh, derived from Pascal's principle. The principle of buoyancy explains the behavior of objects floating or sinking in a fluid and is the basis for Archimedes' principle. A real-life application of hydrostatics is the hydraulic lift, which utilizes Pascal's principle to
kalupahana

Homework Statement

10% of a boat sink in water when it is float, from its total volume. 70% of its total volume sinks, when 1200kg loaded into it

I) Calculate the mass of boat.
II) The boat totally sink due to a hole in bottom of it, with that 1200kg load, with a uniform rate of 100kg of water mass per minute. Find the time taken to sink the boat.
III) Find the force needed to lift the boat up to the water level(without 1200Kg load)?
Take density of Water as 1000Kgm-3 and mean density of materials which were taken to built the boat is 2500Kgm-3

Homework Equations

u=vρg

ρ=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I) u=vρg -----> mg=vρg -------> m=vρ

boat without load ---> m= 10v/100 x 1000 ------>v=m/100 ------(1)
boat with loaf ----> m+1200 = 70v/100 x 1000 ----> v = (m +1200)/700 -----(2)

from 1 and 2
6m = 1200 --------> m=200kg

II) Volume of the boat = 200/100 = 2m3 (from 1)

the total mass needed to sink boat
u=vρg -----> mg=vρg -------> m=vρ
m = 2 x 1000 = 2000kg

the mass of water needed to sink the boat = 2000 - 1200- 200 = 600kg
the time taking to sink the boat = 600/100 = 6min

III) This is the part that i stuck:cry:,,, Why they given the density of materials which were taken to built the boat, the mass of boat and volume of boat can be find without it. please tell me above steps are correct:confused:,,, help me

Physics news on Phys.org
to find the force needed to lift the boat up to the water levelYour calculations for parts I and II seem to be correct. For part III, you need to use the concept of buoyancy. The force needed to lift the boat up to the water level is equal to the weight of the water that the boat displaces. This can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

To calculate the buoyant force, we need to first find the volume of water that the boat displaces. This can be calculated using the volume of the boat (2m3) and the density of water (1000 kg/m3).

Volume of water displaced = 2m3 x 1000 kg/m3 = 2000 kg

Next, we need to find the weight of this water. This can be calculated using the density of water (1000 kg/m3) and the volume of water displaced (2000 kg).

Weight of water displaced = 2000 kg x 1000 kg/m3 = 2000000 N

Therefore, the force needed to lift the boat up to the water level is 2000000 N. This is the same as the weight of the water displaced, which makes sense according to Archimedes' principle.

Related to Physics homework on Hydrostatics

1. What is Hydrostatics and how is it related to physics?

Hydrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids at rest and their behavior under the influence of external forces. It is related to physics because it involves the application of various laws and principles of physics to understand the properties and behavior of fluids.

2. What are the key concepts in Hydrostatics that I need to know for my physics homework?

The key concepts in Hydrostatics include pressure, density, buoyancy, and Pascal's principle. It is important to have a good understanding of these concepts to solve problems related to fluid behavior and hydrostatic equilibrium.

3. How do I calculate pressure in a hydrostatics problem?

Pressure in a hydrostatics problem can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid. This formula is derived from Pascal's principle, which states that pressure in a fluid is transmitted equally in all directions.

4. What is the principle of buoyancy and how does it apply to hydrostatics?

The principle of buoyancy states that an object immersed in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This principle applies to hydrostatics as it explains the behavior of objects floating or sinking in a fluid and is the basis for Archimedes' principle.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of hydrostatics?

One example of a real-life application of hydrostatics is the hydraulic lift, which is used in car repair shops and elevators. This system uses Pascal's principle to lift heavy objects by applying pressure to a small area, which is then transmitted to a larger area, creating a larger force to lift the object.