Question on invertibility in finite fields

Albert01
Hello all,

I have here an excerpt from Wikipedia about the discrete Fourier transform:

1693031347473.png

My question(s) are about the red underlined part.

1.) If ##n## divides ##p-1##, why does this imply that ##n## is invertible?
2.) Why does Wikipedia take the effort to write out the ##n## as ##n = 1+1+...+1##, what is behind this?

I would be glad if someone could help me a little bit here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albert01 said:
1.) If ##n## divides ##p-1##, why does this imply that ##n## is invertible?
Because then ##p## cannot divide ##n##.
Albert01 said:
2.) Why does Wikipedia take the effort to write out the ##n## as ##n = 1+1+...+1##, what is behind this?
That is the definition of ##n## in a field.

Likes Albert01
If you already accept that ##GF(q)=GF(p^m)## is a field, then all elements except zero are invertible. And zero in a field of characteristic ##p## is
$$
0=\underbrace{1+1+\ldots+1}_{p\text{ times}}
$$
Now consider any natural number ##n,## as @martinbn mentioned, defined as
$$
n=\underbrace{1+1+\ldots+1}_{n\text{ times}}
$$
and assume ##n=k\cdot p.## Then
$$
n=\underbrace{\underbrace{1+1+\ldots+1}_{p\text{ times }=0}+\underbrace{1+1+\ldots+1}_{p\text{ times }=0}+\ldots+\underbrace{1+1+\ldots+1}_{p\text{ times }=0}}_{k\text{ times }=0}=0
$$
and all other numbers are unequal zero modulo ##p## hence invertible. The Euclidean algorithm allows us to write
$$
n=r\cdot p + s\qquad , \qquad 0<s<p
$$
if ##p## does not divide ##n## so ##n\equiv s \neq 0 \pmod{p}## and as @martinbn mentioned, ##n<p## prevents that ##p\,|\,n## or ##s=0.## Furthermore, ##n## and ##p## are coprime, i.e. their greatest common divisor is ##1.## This means by Bézout's identity that we can write
$$
1=a \cdot n + b \cdot p \quad \text{ or }\quad a\cdot n \equiv 1\pmod{p}
$$
and ##a## is the inverse of ##n## modulo ##p.##

• Love
Likes Albert01
Thank you for the very good answer!

A few questions:
1.) Why can we assume ##n=kp##? You only do this here as an example to show the difference between ##n = kp## and ##n = rp + s##, right?

2) The inequality ##n < p## is due to the fact that all elements in the field are smaller than ##p##, right?

Albert01 said:
Thank you for the very good answer!

A few questions:
1.) Why can we assume ##n=kp##? You only do this here as an example to show the difference between ##n = kp## and ##n = rp + s##, right?
Yes. I assumed ##n=kp## to show why multiples of ##p## do not have an inverse modulo ##p##.
Albert01 said:
2) The inequality ##n < p## is due to the fact that all elements in the field are smaller than ##p##, right?
That was a misunderstanding on my side. All we need is ##p\,\nmid \,n##.
(If ##p\,|\,n## and ##n\,|\,(q-1)=p^m-1## then ##p\,|\,(p^m-1)## which is impossible. Thus ##p\,\nmid \,n.##)

1. What is invertibility in finite fields?

Invertibility in finite fields refers to the property of an element in a finite field to have a multiplicative inverse. This means that when multiplied by another element, the result is equal to 1. In other words, the element can be "undone" by multiplying it with its inverse.

2. How do you determine if an element is invertible in a finite field?

In order to determine if an element is invertible in a finite field, you can use the Extended Euclidean Algorithm. This algorithm calculates the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two elements in the field, and if the GCD is equal to 1, then the two elements are invertible.

3. Can all elements in a finite field be inverted?

No, not all elements in a finite field can be inverted. In fact, only elements that are relatively prime to the order of the field can be inverted. This means that the element and the order of the field do not share any common factors other than 1.

4. What is the significance of invertibility in finite fields?

Invertibility in finite fields is important in many applications, particularly in cryptography. Invertible elements are used to create secure encryption and decryption algorithms, as well as to generate random numbers for key generation.

5. How does invertibility in finite fields relate to modular arithmetic?

Invertibility in finite fields is closely related to modular arithmetic. In fact, modular arithmetic is often used to perform calculations in finite fields. The inverse of an element in a finite field can be found by using modular arithmetic and the Extended Euclidean Algorithm.