Question on intrepretation of loading

In summary, the two end conditions are not the equivalent, and it is not clear what the coefficients apply to.
iqjump123
hello all,

I am in the process of measuring coefficients of a rectangular panel using given table in textbooks to obtain them.

I have attached a simple figure of two situations; left is my current situation to analyze- a clamped end and compressive force on the other end.

The situations that are in the textbooks that correlate to my situation is for symmetrical compressive loading on both sides, like the one shown in the figure to the right.

Can I interpret the coefficient I obtain from the textbook situation to directly correlate with mine, or would there be a factor ? What if the situation on the left involved a simply supported end instead of fixed end?

Thanks everybody for your help in advance.

Attachments

• two situations.png
    two situations.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 440
Engineering news on Phys.org
iqjump123 said:
hello all,

I am in the process of measuring coefficients of a rectangular panel using given table in textbooks to obtain them.

I have attached a simple figure of two situations; left is my current situation to analyze- a clamped end and compressive force on the other end.

The situations that are in the textbooks that correlate to my situation is for symmetrical compressive loading on both sides, like the one shown in the figure to the right.

Can I interpret the coefficient I obtain from the textbook situation to directly correlate with mine, or would there be a factor ? What if the situation on the left involved a simply supported end instead of fixed end?

Thanks everybody for your help in advance.
IMO, no, the two end conditions are not the equivalent.

For the case where the plate is loaded symmetrically along opposite edges, it appears that either edge is free to rotate when the load is applied.

For the case where one edge is known to be clamped, not only is no deflection along this edge allowed, but the plate itself is restrained from rotating.

It's not clear what these mysterious "coefficients" apply to, but unless the support conditions match exactly from a handbook to another situation, I would be leery about assuming the two support conditions were equivalent.

SteamKing said:
IMO, no, the two end conditions are not the equivalent.

For the case where the plate is loaded symmetrically along opposite edges, it appears that either edge is free to rotate when the load is applied.

For the case where one edge is known to be clamped, not only is no deflection along this edge allowed, but the plate itself is restrained from rotating.

It's not clear what these mysterious "coefficients" apply to, but unless the support conditions match exactly from a handbook to another situation, I would be leery about assuming the two support conditions were equivalent.
Thanks for your reply.

To be more specific, I am specifically looking into the compressive buckling coefficients for flat rectangular plates (from analysis and design of flight vehicle structures by Bruhn). Looking at all of the case with applied loads, all of the plots here assume uniaxial compression loads on both sides, instead of one side loaded and other side held by a constraint condition.

How would both cases be related? Many people are known to use this book for design guidelines.

thanks in advance for the help!

Related to Question on intrepretation of loading

What is the concept of loading in scientific research?

Loading refers to the process of assigning specific tasks or stimuli to participants in a study. This can include presenting them with images, videos, or other materials, or asking them to complete specific tasks or answer certain questions.

Why is it important to carefully interpret loading in research studies?

The way in which loading is interpreted can greatly impact the results and conclusions of a study. It is important to carefully consider how different types of loading may influence the responses of participants and potentially affect the validity of the study.

What are some common types of loading in research?

Some common types of loading include physical loading, where participants are asked to perform a physical task, and cognitive loading, where participants are presented with complex or challenging mental tasks. Other types of loading may include emotional loading, social loading, or sensory loading.

How does the use of loading affect the generalizability of research findings?

The use of loading in research studies may limit the generalizability of findings to a larger population. This is because the specific tasks or stimuli used in the study may not accurately reflect real-life situations or may only be relevant to a certain subset of the population.

What are some potential ethical considerations when using loading in research?

Some ethical considerations when using loading in research include ensuring that participants are fully informed about the nature of the study and their involvement, obtaining informed consent, and minimizing any potential risks or discomfort for participants. It is also important to consider any potential biases or stereotypes that may be perpetuated through the use of certain types of loading.