Question on E gravitational potential , but my doubt is regarding trigonometry more.

In summary, to find gravitational potential energy, we need to find the vertical difference between the two spheres shown in the diagram, which is represented by Δh. To solve this exercise, you need to use basic trigonometry and draw a horizontal line from the sphere position on the right to the vertical solid line, creating a right triangle. The length of this line, which is 3.0 cm, can be found by using the cosine function. By understanding the concept of right triangles and applying basic trigonometry, you can easily solve this exercise.
mutineer
In this question 3 bi
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_w07_qp_2.pdf

to find gravitaional poteintial enrgy we need to find Δh. which is the vertical difference between the two spheres shown in the diagram. How do i find that?

Answer says (61 – {61 cos18} =) 3.0 cm, I can't figure out how?

Physics news on Phys.org

You'll have to learn basic trigonometry before you can solve the exercise.

torquil said:
You'll have to learn basic trigonometry before you can solve the exercise.

I have, but this ones kinda proving tough. Maybe the solution is staring at my face but i can't figure it out!

Hint: draw a horizontal line from the sphere position on the right (the dotted one), to the vertical solid line. Consider the right triangle that this creates.

jtbell said:
Hint: draw a horizontal line from the sphere position on the right (the dotted one), to the vertical solid line. Consider the right triangle that this creates.

OMG YES! I told you guys, it probably was staring right in my face. I was thinking more in the terms of forming and isosceles triangle in order to keep the lengths the same, but then again keeping them the same is the problem itself! Thanx a tonne!

Related to Question on E gravitational potential , but my doubt is regarding trigonometry more.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from one position to another in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point.

3. How does trigonometry relate to gravitational potential energy?

Trigonometry is used to calculate the height or distance from the reference point in the formula for gravitational potential energy. This is because the height or distance is often not given in a straight line, but at an angle.

4. What is the reference point in gravitational potential energy?

The reference point in gravitational potential energy is the point at which the potential energy is defined as zero. This is often chosen to be the surface of the Earth.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because a larger mass will have a greater effect on the gravitational field and require more energy to move it from one position to another.