Question on complex arithmetic

In summary, complex arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and properties of complex numbers, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can be applied in real-life situations such as analyzing electrical circuits, modeling vibrations, predicting stock market trends, and more. To add or subtract complex numbers, one combines their real and imaginary parts separately. Similarly, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the same rules as for real numbers. They can also be graphed on a complex plane, where their location corresponds to their value.
FrostScYthe
Hey, I'm working on a program but I get errors when I do my function and evaluate it with x (being a complex number)

lets say x = 2 + 3i

and my function is f(x) = (x - 3)(x - 3)(x - 3)

how would I get f(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean you get "errors"? What medium are you using to create this program?

Related to Question on complex arithmetic

1. What is complex arithmetic?

Complex arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and properties of complex numbers. It involves addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers, as well as other operations such as conjugation and powers.

2. How do I add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (1+4i) = (3+1) + (2i+4i) = 4 + 6i. The same process applies for subtraction.

3. Can you multiply or divide complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the same rules as for real numbers. To multiply, you distribute and combine like terms. For division, you use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part in the denominator.

4. How can I graph complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a complex plane, where the real part is represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part is represented on the vertical axis. The location of the complex number on the plane corresponds to its value.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex arithmetic?

Complex arithmetic is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples of its applications include analyzing electrical circuits, modeling vibrations in mechanical systems, and predicting stock market trends. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.