Question on Calculus of variations formalism

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of calculus of variations and its relationship to traditional calculus. In CoV, functions are replaced with functionals, which are a particular class of functions. While there are similarities between the two, CoV also has major differences. The concept of functionals was not commonly used in the past, but is now a standard part of CoV. CoV is typically taught after differential and integral calculus, and alongside or prior to partial differential equations.
guitarphysics
Hi all, I had a quick question regarding the formalism behind calculus of variations. In one-dimensional standard calc, we consider functions [tex] f:\mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R} [/tex] and define their derivatives using the conventional definition with the limit of the quotient of the change in the function, and the change of the function's parameter.

When we move on to calculus of variations, we instead consider functions (which we for some reason call functionals) [tex] F:\mathcal{F}(\mathbb{R})\to\mathbb{R} [/tex] where [itex] \mathcal{F}(\mathbb{R}) [/itex] is the set of all functions that map [itex] \mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R} [/itex]. We define the derivative of these functions in an analogous way to how we did for real one-dimensional real functions. (And usually we'll be interested in finding stationary points, but that's another story.) Is this basically it?

I'm posting this because 1) I was confused because in physics textbooks, I recall reading things like "calculus of variations is about minimizing functionals, which are different from functions". But I'm trying to check to see if what they actually meant is that functionals are different from real functions (since it seems like functionals are just another specific type of function). And 2) because initially calculus of variations seemed like an especially hard thing, postponed for later in physics education when one was ready for things like Lagrangian mechanics; but it's starting to look like just another version of calculus, using a different set of functions to study! So I just wanted to check that if it is this straightforward :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are correct that a functional is just a particular class of function. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Calculus of Variations is 'just another version of calculus' though. There are important analogous elements but there are major differences as well.

When I was in college, a half a century ago, the word "functional" never came up. Now, it's standard fare. The thing is that the "universe of discourse" of differential calculus is NOT the real numbers; it is the space of all functions (continuous, well-behaved, smooth, etc.). So, logically you move from considering maps "from numbers to numbers" to maps "from functions to functions".
Usually CoV is presented after differential calculus of 1 variable, multvariate differentiation, integral calculus of 1 variable, and ordinary differential equations. Generally, partial differential equations (multivariate by definition) is taught along with or prior to CoV because they go hand in hand.
Anyway, I learned CoV without any need for the concept of "functional" although once I heard about it I saw how it allowed a more rigorous development of the subject. So, you're not wrong.

1. What is the calculus of variations formalism?

The calculus of variations formalism is a mathematical framework used to find the most optimal or efficient solution to a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function. It involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes the functional through the use of variational methods and techniques.

2. How is the calculus of variations formalism different from traditional calculus?

The calculus of variations formalism differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with functions of functions, rather than just functions of variables. It also focuses on finding the optimal solution to a functional, rather than just finding the derivative of a function.

3. What are some applications of the calculus of variations formalism?

The calculus of variations formalism has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and optimization. Some specific examples include finding the shortest path between two points, minimizing the surface area of a soap bubble, and maximizing the efficiency of a mechanical system.

4. What are some important concepts in the calculus of variations formalism?

Some important concepts in the calculus of variations formalism include the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the critical points of a functional, and the fundamental lemma of calculus of variations, which states that the variation of a function is equal to the difference between its endpoint values.

5. How does the calculus of variations formalism relate to optimization problems?

The calculus of variations formalism can be used to solve optimization problems by finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. In this way, it provides a powerful tool for finding the most optimal solution to a problem, which is often the goal of optimization.