Question On A Problem Don't Agree With Teacher

• Thread starter PClark02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the question is asking what the force is required to lift the box vertically when it is at the same height as the box is at when it is being slid up a ramp with no friction.
PClark02
1. Basic Physics stuff nothing too complex...

#1. A clerk lifts a box 1m vertically. He also slides the box to an equal height over a 2m ramp. How much more force does it take to lift the box vertically?

2. He stated that it would take something like twice as much(can't remember if this was it but doesn't really matter with my argument.) What I was arguing was the fact that we cannot tell how much force it takes to slide up the ramp due to the fact we have no coefficient of friction.

For example...
Would it take more force to lift a box or try to slide that same box over a ramp that's covered with tar or something with a very high coefficient of friction?

3. I put not enough info as my answer and am wondering how on Earth that cannot possibly be conceived as a correct answer...
Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to start, you could draw a diagram of the example. Since you are lifting the box in the question, is it necessary to have a coefficient of friction (whether static or kinetic)?

Well I was thinking more in the lines of that the lifting doesn't matter so much as the sliding it up the ramp?

The question relates to lifting, so wouldn't lifting actually matter? As I said, try to draw a picture of it. Remember, you're finding a force.

PClark02 said:
1. Basic Physics stuff nothing too complex...

#1. A clerk lifts a box 1m vertically. He also slides the box to an equal height over a 2m ramp. How much more force does it take to lift the box vertically?

I don't think you've stated the question correctly here- should it read something like "How much greater is the force required to lift the box vertically, than the force required to push the box up the ramp?"

This is probably causing confusion in responses.

Yeah, on the test it was asking for a ratio of sorts like twice as much etc

Last edited:
Pardon me if I'm interpreting this wrong, but carbz I believe that the question is based solely on the relationships of the distance covered. So even if pclark were to draw a free-body diagram and plug in a hypothetical mass to solve the force required to lift the box, he'd be stumped at attempting to find the force to slide it up the ramp.

All right. I figured that there must have been ratios involved. Anyway, the coefficient of friction isn't needed to determine the ratio of the two forces.

Ok I just thought it might take more force if there was a high coefficiend of friction on the ramp... Thanks

your welcome.

Your teacher didn't give a coefficient of friction, so it must not play a role in the problem. If it was, then there would be more information to find it.

The problem was presumably meant to compare the amounts of force needed to overcome gravity -- not to consider other factors such as friction, wind resistance, lunar cycle, et cetera.

P.S. this is a simple machines problem; if you know them, a free-body diagram would be unnecessary.

P.P.S. or, it's a work-energy problem.

Last edited:

Related to Question On A Problem Don't Agree With Teacher

1. How do I approach a problem that I don't agree with my teacher on?

It is important to first understand why you do not agree with your teacher. Is it a difference in opinion or a misunderstanding of the problem? Once you have identified the root of the problem, try discussing it with your teacher in a respectful and open-minded manner. You can also seek advice from other sources such as classmates or online resources.

2. Is it okay to question my teacher's methods or solutions to a problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to question your teacher's methods or solutions. It shows critical thinking and a desire to fully understand the subject. However, it is important to do so respectfully and with a willingness to listen to your teacher's perspective. Remember, your teacher is there to guide you and their experience and knowledge should be respected.

3. What should I do if my teacher dismisses my question or opinion?

If your teacher dismisses your question or opinion, do not be discouraged. It is possible that they may not have understood your perspective or may need more time to consider it. You can try approaching them again at a later time or seek guidance from another teacher or mentor.

4. How can I express my disagreement with my teacher without causing conflict?

When expressing your disagreement with your teacher, it is important to use respectful language and avoid making personal attacks. Focus on the problem or issue at hand and present your argument in a calm and logical manner. It is also important to listen to your teacher's perspective and be open to finding a compromise.

5. What can I do if I still don't understand or agree with my teacher after discussing the problem with them?

If you still do not understand or agree with your teacher after discussing the problem with them, you can seek additional help from other sources such as classmates, tutors, or online resources. It is also important to continue communicating with your teacher and asking for clarification when needed. Remember, learning is a continuous process and it is okay to ask for help when needed.