Question On A Problem Don't Agree With Teacher

• Thread starter PClark02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the conversation is discussing the force required to lift a box vertically and slide it up a ramp of equal height. Without knowing the coefficient of friction, it is impossible to accurately compare the two forces. If the ramp is frictionless, it would take twice as much force to lift the box compared to sliding it up the ramp. The problem should have specified if the ramp was frictionless.
PClark02
Basic Physics stuff nothing too complex...

#1. A clerk lifts a box 1m vertically. He also slides the box to an equal height over a 2m ramp. How much more force does it take to lift the box vertically?
He stated that it would take something like twice as much(can't remember if this was it but doesn't really matter with my argument.) What I was arguing was the fact that we cannot tell how much force it takes to slide up the ramp due to the fact we have no coefficient of friction.

For example...
Would it take more force to lift a box or try to slide that same box over a ramp that's covered with tar or something with a very high coefficient of friction?

I put not enough info as my answer and am wondering how on Earth that cannot possibly be conceived as a correct answer...
Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that you cannot compare the forces unless the coefficient of friction is known. If the ramp is frictionless, it would take twice as much force to lift the box as it would to slide it up the ramp. The problem should have stated it was a frictionles ramp if that was intended.

I understand your confusion and frustration with the question and answer provided by your teacher. It is important to have all the necessary information in order to accurately solve a problem in physics. In this case, the coefficient of friction is a crucial factor in determining the amount of force needed to slide the box up the ramp.

Without knowing the coefficient of friction, it is impossible to accurately compare the amount of force needed to lift the box vertically versus sliding it up the ramp. The coefficient of friction takes into account the surface material and the weight of the object, both of which greatly affect the amount of force needed.

In addition, it is important to note that the force needed to lift an object vertically is different from the force needed to slide it up a ramp. These two forces should not be compared directly as they involve different physical principles.

In conclusion, your answer of "not enough information" is correct. Without knowing the coefficient of friction, it is impossible to accurately determine the amount of force needed to slide the box up the ramp and compare it to the force needed to lift the box vertically. As a scientist, it is important to always consider all the necessary information before making conclusions or solving problems.

Related to Question On A Problem Don't Agree With Teacher

1. How do I approach a teacher when I don't agree with a question on a problem?

First, it is important to remain calm and respectful. Explain your perspective and why you disagree with the question. Listen to the teacher's reasoning and try to find common ground. If necessary, suggest alternative solutions or ask for clarification. Remember to stay open-minded and focus on finding a resolution.

2. What if the teacher is not willing to listen to my opinion?

If the teacher is not open to discussion, it may be helpful to seek out a different teacher or authority figure to mediate the situation. You can also try speaking with the teacher outside of class or sending a polite email expressing your concerns.

3. How can I make sure I understand the question correctly before disagreeing with the teacher?

One way to ensure understanding is by asking the teacher for clarification or examples. You can also try rewording the question in your own words to see if you have a different interpretation. It may also be helpful to discuss the question with classmates to get their perspectives.

4. Is it okay to disagree with a teacher's question on a problem?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to have a different opinion or interpretation than your teacher. However, it is important to approach the situation respectfully and be open to the teacher's perspective as well. Remember to focus on finding a solution rather than being right.

5. What if I still don't understand the question even after discussing it with the teacher?

If you are still struggling with the question, don't be afraid to seek additional help from a tutor, classmate, or online resources. It is important to fully understand the question before attempting to answer it. You can also ask the teacher for extra guidance or practice problems to clarify your understanding.