Question of spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field

In summary, the problem involves finding the S matrix for a spin 1/2 particle in a rotating magnetic field and a constant field. The approach involves using the interaction picture equation of motion and the Dyson or Magnus series expansions to obtain a perturbative solution.
DeathbyGreen

Homework Statement

So I'm given a spin 1/2 particle in a rotating magnetic field in the (x,y) direction and a constant field, [itex]B_0[/itex], in the z direction and am asked to find the S matrix describing it. Given is:
[itex]B(t) = [B_1 \cos(\omega t), B_1 \sin(\omega t), B_0][/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]H = \sum \sigma_i B_i[/itex]
[itex]H_I = H_0 + V_I[/itex]
[itex]i \hbar \frac{d}{dt} |\psi_I(t)> = H_I(t)|\psi_I(t)>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my first thought is to plug what I know about H (Pauli matrices) and [itex]|\psi(t)>[/itex], namely that it can be decomposed into spin up and spin down states, into the interaction picture equation of motion as:

[itex]i \frac{d \psi}{dt} = V_0(t) \psi_0(t)[/itex], with [itex] V_0(t) = \exp(i H_0 t) V \exp(-iH_0 t)[/itex]

The problem is that when I plug all of this in I get an absurd looking equation that seems impossible to solve analytically. Another idea I had was to use directly

[itex] S(\infty,-\infty) = T \exp(-\int dt' V_0(t'))[/itex]

But again I get a series of strange looking exponentials that seem impossible to integrate analytically. I feel like I am making this too difficult, maybe I could just use a matrix equation like

[itex] \psi_0 (t_f) = S(t) \psi_0(t_i)[/itex]

Should I solve it perturbatively with [itex] \psi_0 (t) = \psi + \psi_1(t) + \psi_2(t)...[/itex]? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Likes vanoccupanther
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach using the interaction picture equation of motion. However, it is important to remember that in this case, the Hamiltonian H_0 is time-dependent due to the rotating magnetic field. Therefore, the time evolution operator in the interaction picture will also be time-dependent, which can make the equations more complicated.

One approach you could try is to use the Dyson series expansion for the time evolution operator, which can be written as:

S(t, t_0) = T \exp \left( -i \int_{t_0}^t dt' V_I(t') \right) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-i)^n}{n!} \int_{t_0}^t dt_1 \int_{t_0}^{t_1} dt_2 \cdots \int_{t_0}^{t_{n-1}} dt_n T \left[ V_I(t_1) V_I(t_2) \cdots V_I(t_n) \right]

where T denotes the time ordering operator. This series can be truncated at a certain order to obtain a perturbative solution to the problem. You can also try using the Magnus expansion, which is a more efficient way to calculate the time evolution operator in the case of a time-dependent Hamiltonian.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Question of spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field

1. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin quantum number of 1/2, meaning it has half-integer spin. This includes particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. What is a rotating field?

A rotating field is a type of electromagnetic field that is generated by rotating electrically charged objects. This can include electrically charged particles or rotating magnets.

3. How does a spin 1/2 particle behave in a rotating field?

In a rotating field, a spin 1/2 particle will experience a torque due to its magnetic moment interacting with the magnetic field of the rotating field. This torque causes the particle to precess, meaning its axis of rotation will change over time.

4. What is the significance of studying spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field?

Studying spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field can provide insight into the behavior and properties of these particles, as well as the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields. This has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

5. How is the behavior of spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field described mathematically?

The behavior of spin 1/2 particles in a rotating field can be described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the particle's spin and the effects of the rotating field to determine the particle's motion over time.