Neutral particle with spin +1/2

In summary, the problem is to find the variation of the expected value of the 3 cartesian components of the angular momentum spin operator for a neutral particle with spin +½ and a dipolar momentum μ placed on a uniform magnetic field, in two different situations: a) when the angular momentum of spin is aligned with the magnetic field, and b) when the angular momentum of spin is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The suggested methods for solving this problem include using Dirac notation or matrix-vector notation, and focusing on the expectation values rather than the angle of the spin.
Fips

Homework Statement

Considering a neutral particle with spin +½ and a dipolar momentum μ placed on an uniform magnetic field. Find the variation of the expected value of the 3 cartesian components of the angular momentum spin operator for the following situations:

a) the angular momentum of spin is alligned with the magnetic field
b) the angular momentum of spin is perpendicular with the magnetic field

Homework Equations

∫ < Ψ | Sx | Ψ* > dx = < Sx >, Sx = ½hσ, σ is the matrix associated, spin +½ = (1 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought if i calculated the integral to get the expected value and then use the Heisenberg principle I could solve the problem. I figured i had to multiply the wave function with a spinor, since schrodinger's equation doesn't include spin. But I had no wave function so that's a no go.

2nd method was to only consider the angular difference given by the solid angle. Again with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, I'd get the variation of the expected value... thing is I have no clue on how I can proceed to calculate it in this way, is it just to say that θ = π and so it gets Φ=h/4? I don't think so :\

I could use apply dirac's method?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are dealing with spin, using wave functions is not the best approach. You should try working with the Dirac notation or using a matrix-vector notation.

Also, the point in not find the angle of the spin (which is a classical notion), but the expectation values ##\langle S_x \rangle##, ##\langle S_y \rangle##, and ##\langle S_z \rangle##.

Related to Neutral particle with spin +1/2

1. What is a neutral particle with spin +1/2?

A neutral particle with spin +1/2 is a subatomic particle that has no electric charge and a spin of +1/2, which is a measure of its intrinsic angular momentum. It is a type of fermion, which means it follows the rules of quantum mechanics and obeys the Pauli exclusion principle.

2. How is a neutral particle with spin +1/2 different from other particles?

A neutral particle with spin +1/2 is different from other particles because it has no electric charge. This means it is not affected by electric or magnetic fields and can pass through matter without being deflected. Additionally, its spin value of +1/2 is unique and determines its behavior in certain interactions.

3. What is the significance of the spin value in a neutral particle with spin +1/2?

The spin value of +1/2 in a neutral particle is significant because it determines the particle's intrinsic angular momentum and has a direct relationship with its magnetic moment. This value also affects the particle's interactions with other particles and can provide information about its properties and behavior.

4. How is a neutral particle with spin +1/2 created or detected?

A neutral particle with spin +1/2 can be created through various processes, such as particle collisions or radioactive decays. It can be detected through indirect methods, such as observing its effects on other particles, or directly through specialized detectors that can measure its properties.

5. What are some examples of neutral particles with spin +1/2?

Some examples of neutral particles with spin +1/2 include the neutron, the neutral pion, and the neutral kaon. These particles are all composed of quarks and have a spin value of +1/2. Other particles, such as neutrinos, also have a spin of +1/2 but are considered to be massless and have no electric charge.