Question of Obsession: The Impact of Math and Neuroscience on Personal Life

• Medical
  • Thread starter CubicFlunky77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neuroscience
In summary, the speaker is a 22-year-old male in the U.S. who has a strong interest in math and computational neuroscience, but was forced into a pre-med track. He returned to math in his senior year of undergrad and has become increasingly obsessed with it, to the point of neglecting his personal life and experiencing insomnia, pickiness, and rage. He has been studying for long hours without noticing the passage of time and has sought help from mental health professionals, but they have not addressed the issue effectively. The speaker is concerned about his mental health and seeks advice on how to solve a specific math problem. The expert advises seeking professional help and wishes the speaker luck in finding a solution.
CubicFlunky77
I am a 22 year-old male in the U.S. My fascination (or obsession) for math/computational neuroscience/set-theory/Analysis & Topology topics has reached nearly unprecedented levels in my life to the point of posing a detriment to my personal life (insomnia, pickiness, and periodic rage). I never took differential equations or Calc. III as far as the academic institution's agenda is concerned since I was forced into the med-school track for the conventional 'get-money-while-being-snobby-and-looking-smart" reason. Since this description does not match my life's ambition, I returned to math after reaching my Senior Year as a Bio undergrad. I feel I am on the right path, but the harder I focus on what I wish to pursue the more obsessed I become.

Ex. I thought yesterday was Monday since that was the last time I remembered studying. Then my mom recently told me that I'd been studying consistently for two consecutive weeks for well over 15 hours a day (typically from 11 a.m to 7-9 a.m.; sleeping, then repeating). When I am tired, I do go home after living in my school's math department over the aforementioned time period. As far as time goes, I have completely lost track of it. It is extremely annoying, since I feel that as soon as I start studying I have to stop after what seems to be 3 minutes to me when it has actually been several hours. The only reason I even stop is because I have to eat and sleep to keep going.

When I tell the school psychiatrists/mental health folks they seem to be more surprised at the notion of a black math major than directing their resources and attention towards alleviating the issue.

O.K. So now to my question: Is there a cause for a "mental-issue" concern when I try to solve a problem in D.Eq. such as this:

[itex] \int \frac {1}{y} dy \leftrightarrow \int \frac {1}{1 + x} dx[/itex]

by doing this:

9440912266_383f3818ed_c.jpg

9438129029_5083b60405_c.jpg

9438129171_7e77ed95ea_c.jpg

Biology news on Phys.org
I suggest that you seek professional help. We cannot help you with something this severe online.

The best of luck to you.

Please please heed Evo's advise and consult a doctor. Losing track of time in such a significant way is not healthy, neither is such obsessive behaviour.

Related to Question of Obsession: The Impact of Math and Neuroscience on Personal Life

1. What is a "Question of Obsession"?

A "Question of Obsession" is a psychological phenomenon where a person becomes fixated on a particular thought, idea, or object to the point where it consumes their thoughts and behaviors.

2. What causes someone to develop a "Question of Obsession"?

There is no one specific cause of a "Question of Obsession." It can be triggered by various factors such as genetics, past experiences, and environmental influences.

3. Is a "Question of Obsession" considered a mental illness?

While a "Question of Obsession" is not classified as a mental illness on its own, it can be a symptom of several mental health disorders such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and anxiety disorders.

4. How can a "Question of Obsession" be treated?

Treatment for a "Question of Obsession" typically involves therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, to help identify and change unhealthy thought patterns. Medications, such as antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications, may also be prescribed in some cases.

5. Can a "Question of Obsession" be cured?

There is no one-size-fits-all cure for a "Question of Obsession." However, with proper treatment and management, it is possible for a person to learn to cope with and control their obsessions, leading to a better quality of life.