Question (not so much homework)

• Thread starter shadowboy13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: I think i got it now.In summary, the problem is to find the minimum radius of a circular sprinkler that can water a square garden with an area of 1764 squared feet, when the sprinkler is placed at the center of the garden. The answer is not simply the square root of 1764, as the radius must be slightly larger than the side length of the square. Using trigonometry, the side length of the square can be found, and then the radius can be determined using Pythagoras' Theorem.
shadowboy13
1. Homework Statement

A square garden has an area of 1764 squared feet, and the gardener wants to install a sprinkler (with a circular spraying pattern) at the center of the garden. What is the minimum radius of spray the sprinkler would need in order to water ALL of the garden.

2. Homework Equations
pi*r squared=1764

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Now my question is... should r not be around 23.70 rounded up? In order for it to cover the entire garden?

Thanks for any help i get :)
(Apologize for lack of latex, but I'm in a hurry)

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the square garden. Where would you put the sprinkler?

LCKurtz said:
Draw a picture of the square garden. Where would you put the sprinkler?

It's already specified that the sprinkler has to be at the centre of the garden.

To the OP, think circumcircle.

shadowboy13 said:
1. Homework Statement

A square garden has an area of 1764 squared feet, and the gardener wants to install a sprinkler (with a circular spraying pattern) at the center of the garden. What is the minimum radius of spray the sprinkler would need in order to water ALL of the garden.

2. Homework Equations
pi*r squared=17643. The Attempt at a Solution
Now my question is... should r not be around 23.70 rounded up? In order for it to cover the entire garden?

You've found the radius for a circle that has area 1764. If you draw a square with side length s and a circle (both having equal centres) with radius slightly greater than s/2 (diameter greater than s), then you'll see that their areas must be about the same but we haven't answered the problem which is to find the radius of the circle that would water the entire garden.

If the area of the square garden is 1764ft2 then what is the side length of the square? Now, where and what is the furthest distance on the square from the centre of the square?

Mentallic said:
You've found the radius for a circle that has area 1764. If you draw a square with side length s and a circle (both having equal centres) with radius slightly greater than s/2 (diameter greater than s), then you'll see that their areas must be about the same but we haven't answered the problem which is to find the radius of the circle that would water the entire garden.

If the area of the square garden is 1764ft2 then what is the side length of the square? Now, where and what is the furthest distance on the square from the centre of the square?

Yeah i realized after reading that where i made a faulty connection.

Oh well, now i know.

shadowboy13 said:
1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
pi*r squared=1764

3. The Attempt at a Solution

As @Mentallic said,The center of both the circle and the square is in the same position.
Here the circle should be larger than the square to water ALL the garden
attachment.php?attachmentid=64979&stc=1&d=1387601835.jpg

As you can see,the 1/2 diagonal of the square:Red color line,is the same as the radius of circle.Find it using trigonometry.
First fine the side length of square.Then Use pythagoras Theorem.

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 434
adjacent said:
As @Mentallic said,The center of both the circle and the square is in the same position.
Here the circle should be larger than the square to water ALL the garden
attachment.php?attachmentid=64979&stc=1&d=1387601835.jpg

As you can see,the 1/2 diagonal of the square:Red color line,is the same as the radius of circle.Find it using trigonometry.
First fine the side length of square.Then Use pythagoras Theorem.

Yeah i know i pictured it a bit after the fact.

Oddly enough, I've solved far harder problems than that with no issue, yet simple problems always seem to stump me in the high hours of the morning, no more math after midnight :)

Thank you everybody

Related to Question (not so much homework)

1. What is the purpose of asking questions?

Asking questions serves a variety of purposes in science. It allows scientists to gather information, test hypotheses, and make conclusions. It also helps to stimulate critical thinking and curiosity, leading to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

2. How do scientists come up with research questions?

Scientists typically come up with research questions by identifying gaps in current knowledge or by observing interesting phenomena. They may also build upon previous research or use a hypothesis to guide their questioning.

3. What makes a good research question?

A good research question is specific, measurable, relevant, and feasible. It should also be open-ended and have the potential for multiple answers or interpretations. Additionally, a good research question should contribute to the existing body of knowledge and have practical applications.

4. How do scientists test their questions?

Scientists use various methods and techniques to test their questions, including experiments, surveys, observations, and simulations. They also collect and analyze data to draw conclusions and support their findings.

5. Why is it important to ask questions in science?

Asking questions is essential in science because it allows for the continuous advancement of knowledge and understanding. It also helps to identify and solve problems, challenge current theories, and foster critical thinking skills. Without asking questions, scientific progress would be limited.