Finding the Magnitude of Cross Product Vector Question

In summary, using ordinary trigonometry, one can find the magnitude of the cross product of two vectors by taking the product of the lengths of the vectors and then dividing by the cosine of the angle between the vectors.
fehilz

Homework Statement

From John Taylor's Classical Mechanics:

Show that definition (1.9) of the cross product is equivalent to the elementary deinition that R x S is perpendicular to both R and S, with magnitude rssinθ and direction given by the right hand rule. [Hint: It is a fact (though quite hard to prove) that the definition (1.9) is independent of your choice of axes. Therefore you can choose axes so that R points along the x-axis and S lies in the xy plane.

Definition 1.9 refers to the determinant of the 3x3 matrix with the three unit vectors in the top row, vector R components in the second and vector S components in the third.

Homework Equations

(Provided in question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to find the solution when choice of axis is independent by squaring the magnitude of the cross product and using the dot product definition involving the cosine function to eventually arrive at the magnitude equation provided, which I verified with a Khan Academy video that used the same method.

However, I've been trying to do the question in the manner described the question (apologies in advance for the lack of LaTex, still need to learn to use it):

I defined a vector R with only a non-zero x component and a vector S with only x and non-zero y components. When the cross product of R and S is performed, only a z component is left in the new that I called vector T equal to Rx times Sy. This solves the direction/right hand rule part of the question.

To find the magnitude, Pythagoras' theorem is used. For T, the magnitude is equal to Rx times Sy since that's the only component. For R, the magnitude is equal to Rx since that's the only component. This is where I'm running into a problem, how can I make the magnitude of S times sine equal to Sy?

Sorry if that was unclear and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fehilz said:

Homework Statement

From John Taylor's Classical Mechanics:

Show that definition (1.9) of the cross product is equivalent to the elementary deinition that R x S is perpendicular to both R and S, with magnitude rssinθ and direction given by the right hand rule. [Hint: It is a fact (though quite hard to prove) that the definition (1.9) is independent of your choice of axes. Therefore you can choose axes so that R points along the x-axis and S lies in the xy plane.

Definition 1.9 refers to the determinant of the 3x3 matrix with the three unit vectors in the top row, vector R components in the second and vector S components in the third.

Homework Equations

(Provided in question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to find the solution when choice of axis is independent by squaring the magnitude of the cross product and using the dot product definition involving the cosine function to eventually arrive at the magnitude equation provided, which I verified with a Khan Academy video that used the same method.

However, I've been trying to do the question in the manner described the question (apologies in advance for the lack of LaTex, still need to learn to use it):

I defined a vector R with only a non-zero x component and a vector S with only x and non-zero y components. When the cross product of R and S is performed, only a z component is left in the new that I called vector T equal to Rx times Sy. This solves the direction/right hand rule part of the question.

To find the magnitude, Pythagoras' theorem is used. For T, the magnitude is equal to Rx times Sy since that's the only component. For R, the magnitude is equal to Rx since that's the only component. This is where I'm running into a problem, how can I make the magnitude of S times sine equal to Sy?

Sorry if that was unclear and thanks in advance for any help.

Use trig. The vector S makes a right triangle with sides Sx and Sy and hypotenuse the length of S. What is Sy in terms of the length of S and the angle θ?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Use trig. What is Sy in terms of S and the angle θ?

I did try this and thought I had finished the question. sinθ is Sy/S which I can then sub back into the equation. This yields Rx×s×Sy/S. I previously thought that s and S would cancel leaving the expected RxSy but that doesn't work.

EDIT: Just re-read your comment, so the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle formed by a vector is the magnitude of that vector? That makes more sense, can't believe I forgot that from first year. Thanks a heap!

Last edited:
fehilz said:
I did try this and thought I had finished the question. sinθ is Sy/S which I can then sub back into the equation. This yields Rx×s×Sy/S. I previously thought that s and S would cancel leaving the expected RxSy but that doesn't work.

EDIT: Just re-read your comment, so the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle formed by a vector is the magnitude of that vector? That makes more sense, can't believe I forgot that from first year. Thanks a heap!

You're welcome. I edited the comment when I realized I wasn't being clear about the difference between the vector S and the length of S.

Related to Finding the Magnitude of Cross Product Vector Question

What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product, also known as a cross product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" or "⨯".

How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, u and v, is calculated by taking the product of their magnitudes, multiplying it by the sine of the angle between them, and then multiplying it by a unit vector perpendicular to both u and v. The equation is u x v = |u||v|sinθn, where θ is the angle between u and v, and n is the unit vector.

What is the significance of the cross product?

The cross product is primarily used in physics and engineering to calculate the torque generated by a force acting on an object and the magnetic fields produced by electric currents. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of surfaces and to simulate lighting effects.

What are some properties of the cross product?

The cross product is anticommutative, meaning changing the order of the vectors results in a negative sign. It is also distributive, associative, and bilinear, making it a useful tool in vector algebra and calculus. Additionally, the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

The cross product is only defined in three-dimensional space. However, in higher dimensions, there are similar operations such as the wedge product and the exterior product that serve similar purposes. These operations are commonly used in differential geometry and physics.