Question: Minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle and its application to the confinement of electrons in a hydrogen atom. The speaker asks for clarification on the relationship between the uncertainty in position and the de Broglie wavelength, and wonders what would happen if the electron's position uncertainty is less than a certain value. They also mention their limited understanding of complex mathematical concepts and ask for help and input.
ck_ong
Hey all, I'm a student curently studying in a Singaporean Junior College (American 12th grade equivalent). I was curious and just thought of the following:

Suppose a system with a electron and a proton nucleus, a hydrogen atom.

From electrostatic force and circular motion equations-

F = e²/(4πr²ɛ) , F = mv²/r
p = e/2 *√(m/(πrɛ))

Suppose the electron has a momentum classically determined to be 0, hence its position is right in the position the proton is.
p = 0 , r = 0
However, due to HUP, there is an uncertainty involved for both momentum and position of the electron.

Therefore,
p = Δp , r = Δx,

Δp = e/2 *√(m/(πΔxɛ))
ΔpΔx = e/2 *√(mΔx/(πɛ))
From HUP,
e/2 *√(mΔx/(πɛ)) ≥ ħ/2
mΔx/(πɛ) ≥ ħ²/e²
Δx ≥ ħ²πɛ/me²

And there is a precise, minimum uncertainty in position (and also momentum) for an electron in ground state.

Assuming my calculations and theory to be correct (if it is not, please tell me why), what happens when we confine an electron (by an infinitely strong potential barrier perhaps?) in such a way that its position uncertainty is less than ħ²πɛ/me². What would happen then? Maybe a wavefunction collapse?

Any help and input would be really appreciated here. I would prefer if you not use complex mathematical ideas or notation as I do not even have a university education. I do have little understanding of calculus, vectors, and differential equations, but bra-ket, matrices, PDEs are totally out of my league currently.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also from the de broglie relation and HUP,

Δp ≥ ħ/2Δx , Δp = 2πħ/λ
2πħ/λ ≥ ħ/(2Δx)
Δx ≥ λ/4π

is there any relation between ħ²πɛ/me² and λ/4π?
Perhaps ħ²πɛ/me² = λ/4π for electrons in ground states?

When you confine the electron into a smaller delta x, it will no longer be in the ground state, so your calculations above would no longer be relevant.

Related to Question: Minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons

What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In other words, the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

What is the ground state of an electron?

The ground state of an electron is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy within an atom. It is the state in which the electron is most stable and is closest to the nucleus.

What is the minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons?

The minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons is the minimum amount of uncertainty that can exist between the position and momentum of an electron in its ground state. This is known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and is represented by the equation ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

What is the significance of the minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons?

The minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons has significant implications in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It demonstrates that there are inherent limits to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles, and it also highlights the wave-particle duality of matter.

How does the minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons affect our daily lives?

While the minimum uncertainty in ground state electrons may seem like a concept that is far removed from our daily lives, it actually has practical applications in technology such as MRI machines and electron microscopes. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry and materials science, as our understanding of the properties of atoms and molecules is based on the behavior of electrons in their ground state.