Quantum statistical canonical formalism to find ground state at T

In summary, the conversation discusses the computational solution of a simple spinless fermionic Hamiltonian in the Quantum Canonical Ensemble formalism. The density matrix and expectation value of operators are also mentioned, along with the problems and questions faced by the individual. The ground state and ground state energy are clarified to be properties of the Hamiltonian and not affected by temperature, while the distribution of states across the members of the canonical ensemble is described by the density matrix. Examples are provided for further understanding.
Luqman Saleem
TL;DR Summary
As an example, calculating the ground state energy and wave function using canonical formalism of a simple fermionic model.
For my own understanding, I am trying to computationally solve a simple spinless fermionic Hamiltonian in Quantum Canonical Ensemble formalism . The Hamiltonian is written in the second quantization as

$$H = \sum_{i=1}^L c_{i+1}^\dagger c_i + h.c.$$

In the canonical formalism, the density matrix is given as
$$\rho = \frac{e^{-\beta H}}{Tr [e^{-\beta H}]}$$
where ##\beta = 1/k_B T## and the expectation value of any operator ##A## is given as
$$\langle A \rangle = Tr[\rho A]$$

Things that I want to calculate:
1. ground state energy at temperature ##T##
2. ground state wave-function at ##T##

My attempt to solution:
1. I first write ##H## in matrix form by using particle number basis i.e. 1100, 1010 ##\cdots## for 4 sites and 2 particles
2. then I diagonalize ##H## and find energy eigenvalues ##E_i## and eigenvectors ##\psi_i##
3. then I write ##\rho## by using above given formula
4. finally, I try to calculate ground state energy using ##\langle H \rangle = Tr[\rho H]##

Problems I am facing:
As Boltzmann constant ##k_B## is ##1.36\times 10^{-23}##, so even at room room temperature ##\beta## is very large i.e. ~##10^{21}##. Due to which I can't calculate ground state energy at very low temperatures? Computer just give 'Infinity' values. And at very large temperatures, the energy seems to be decreasing with increasing ##T##. ... totally wrong

Questions:
1. Is my algorithm correct? How can we calculate ground state energy at ##T=0## and at small temperatures?
2. How to calculate ground state wave function at ##T##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the temperature relevant to defining the ground state energy and wave function? Isn't the ground state defined at T=0?

Likes Luqman Saleem
atyy said:
Is the temperature relevant to defining the ground state energy and wave function? Isn't the ground state defined at T=0?
At T=0, ground state is defined. I was just wondering how does statistical mechanics' formalism deal with this case. And I got the answer, I mean at T=0, ##\rho = I##, which means ##\langle H \rangle = \langle I H \rangle = \langle H \rangle##.

And I would say that ground state energy is relevant to temperature. Does not ground state energy increase with the increase in temperature?

Luqman Saleem said:
And I would say that ground state energy is relevant to temperature. Does not ground state energy increase with the increase in temperature?

The ground state and the ground state energy do not change with temperature. The ground state is a property of the Hamiltonian, and is the state with the lowest energy.

The probability with which the ground state and other states are occupied changes with temperature.

In the canonical ensemble at finite T, each member of the notional canonical ensemble of systems is in a different state. The distribution of states across the members of the ensemble is given by the density matrix of the canonical ensemble. Roughly, one can think that the probability of a given state in the canonical ensemble is given by p(E) ∝ exp(-βE).

You can find an example in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_ensemble. See the right side of the figure titled "Example of canonical ensemble for a quantum system consisting of one particle in a potential well."

You can also see section 6.5 of https://mcgreevy.physics.ucsd.edu/s12/lecture-notes/chapter06.pdf for an example of the distribution of states at finite T in the canonical ensemble for the quantum harmonic oscillator.

Last edited:

Related to Quantum statistical canonical formalism to find ground state at T

1. What is the Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism?

The Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum systems at a specific temperature. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to calculate the properties of a system in thermal equilibrium.

2. How does the Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism relate to the ground state of a system?

The Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism allows us to determine the ground state of a system at a specific temperature. This is because the formalism takes into account the thermal energy of the system, which can affect the distribution of particles and their interactions.

3. What is the significance of finding the ground state of a system?

The ground state of a system is the state with the lowest possible energy. It is important to find the ground state because it provides insight into the stability and behavior of the system. Additionally, many physical phenomena, such as superconductivity and superfluidity, are related to the ground state of a system.

4. How is the ground state calculated using the Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism?

The ground state is calculated by minimizing the free energy of the system, which is a combination of the internal energy and the entropy. This is done by using mathematical techniques, such as the partition function, to analyze the energy levels and distribution of particles in the system.

5. Can the Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the Quantum Statistical Canonical Formalism can be applied to all types of systems, including gases, liquids, solids, and even complex systems such as plasmas and quantum fluids. However, the calculations and techniques may vary depending on the specific properties of the system being studied.