Question in quaternion multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quaternions and the confusion around the use of complex numbers in the multiplication of j. The individual is seeking clarification on how the professor arrived at the use of C^* and B^* in their answer, as opposed to the previously used B and C.
Sciencer
Hi guys,
I am taking this class in lie groups but the professor never introduced the concept of quaternion and he asked about it. I saw from google the properties of multiplications of j and I made the multiplication according to
(B + jC)(u + jv) = Bu + Bjv + jCu + j^2Cv = Bu - Cv + j(Cu + Bv)

but in his answer its C^* and B^* so I was wondering how did he come up with that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 8.44.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 8.44.20 AM.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencer said:
Hi guys,
I am taking this class in lie groups but the professor never introduced the concept of quaternion and he asked about it. I saw from google the properties of multiplications of j and I made the multiplication according to
(B + jC)(u + jv) = Bu + Bjv + jCu + j^2Cv = Bu - Cv + j(Cu + Bv)

but in his answer its C^* and B^* so I was wondering how did he come up with that?

B, C, u and v are not real. They are complex. They have an i component. i doesn't commute with j. Try to show ##Bj=j \bar B## get started.

Related to Question in quaternion multiplication

1. What is a quaternion?

A quaternion is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of complex numbers to four dimensions. It is represented in the form a + bi + cj + dk, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i, j, and k are imaginary units.

2. How is quaternion multiplication different from regular multiplication?

Quaternion multiplication is non-commutative, which means that the order of multiplication matters. This is unlike regular multiplication, where the order does not affect the result. Additionally, quaternions have a unique multiplication rule based on the imaginary units i, j, and k, which allows for multiplication of four-dimensional numbers.

3. What are the uses of quaternions?

Quaternions have various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent rotations in 3D space, making them useful in animation and virtual reality. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and robotics.

4. How do you perform quaternion multiplication?

To multiply two quaternions, you need to use the following formula: (a + bi + cj + dk)(x + yi + zj + wk) = (ax - by - cz - dw) + (ay + bx + cw - dz)i + (az - bx + cy + dw)j + (aw + bz - cy + dx)k. The multiplication of the imaginary units follows the rules i² = j² = k² = -1, and ij = k, jk = i, and ki = j.

5. Can quaternions be divided?

Quaternions can be divided, but the division operation is more complex than multiplication. It involves finding the multiplicative inverse of a quaternion, which requires solving a system of equations. Division is also not always defined for all quaternions, as some quaternions do not have a multiplicative inverse.