Question for students or graduates in physics from the U.S?

In summary, all three universities are reputable and have a good track of sending their graduates to top schools. Make the most of the resources available to you and attend the university that is the most beneficial to your professional development or easier to attend.
NeptuniumBOMB
Question for students or graduates in physics from the U.S?

Hi, i am planning to go to a university in Canada (live their) and with the grades that i have know, it seems I'll get into each one (safety school) i apply (in Canada they only care about grades). I was planning to go to graduate school in a prestigious university in america when i get older, i hear allot that the university you go to for your undergrad matters when applying for graduate school. So i was just wondering, where you live, which Canadian university is talked about most or is the most famous or is regarded as the most prestigious out of these 3. McGill University in Montreal, University of Toronto, Waterloo University

Thanks for the opinions

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think any of the three schools would give you a particular advantage/disadvantage for grad school admission

Why is that, Ans426?

Is it because all three of them are so poorly known in the area you live :frown: or because you don't think that where you go to for your undergrad matters for graduate school. :confused:

Why is that, Ans426?

Is it because all three of them are so poorly known in the area you live :frown: or because you don't think that where you go to for your undergrad matters for graduate school. :confused:

All three schools have a decent track of sending their graduates to top schools..
And as long as you do well I don't think going to any particular one out of the three will make too much of a difference

Doing well in a university is far far far more important than how prestigious the school is that you go to. Go to the university that is within your financial means, is in an area you like, has a Physics program that you want to be a part of. Enjoy your time at the university and focus on the task at hand instead of focusing on something that's at least 4 years in the future.

To answer your question though, the one that I have heard of (don't remember the context) was University of Toronto. That being said, I know nothing of their program or their prestige as I have not researched universities outside of the US (I suppose I should one of these days).

P.S. I am currently an undergraduate in Physics.

From what I gather, all three are quite reputed and you should be fine, as far as reputation is concerned. Make the most of the resources available to you. The PF members who've gone to grad school or have the intention of going have often said that prestige, in the conventional sense at least, does not matter that much for physics and math grad school.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck (note that he did have some great guidance though - from what I gather)

Those are all good universities. It will make no difference in terms of getting into grad school which one you attend. Attend whichever one is most beneficial to your professional development or easier to attend.

Related to Question for students or graduates in physics from the U.S?

1. What are the career options for physics graduates in the U.S?

There are many career options for physics graduates in the U.S. Some common ones include working as a research scientist in a university or government lab, pursuing a career in industry as an engineer or consultant, or teaching at the high school or college level.

2. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree to work in the field of physics in the U.S?

While a graduate degree can open up more advanced career opportunities, it is not always necessary to have one to work in the field of physics in the U.S. Many entry-level positions only require a bachelor's degree, and some companies offer on-the-job training for specialized roles.

3. How competitive is the job market for physics graduates in the U.S?

The job market for physics graduates in the U.S can be competitive, especially for research positions or roles in prestigious institutions. However, there is a growing demand for individuals with a strong background in physics in fields such as data science and engineering, which can create more job opportunities.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in physics in the U.S?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics principles, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis are crucial for a successful career in physics in the U.S. Good communication skills and the ability to collaborate with others are also important, as many physics projects involve teamwork.

5. How can I stay updated on advancements and opportunities in the field of physics in the U.S?

There are many ways to stay updated on advancements and opportunities in the field of physics in the U.S. You can join professional organizations, attend conferences and workshops, follow leaders and researchers in the field on social media or through their publications, and stay informed through science news outlets and publications.