[QUESTION]Dark energy could it be an explosion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dark energy and whether it could be caused by an explosion and shockwave. The experts explain that this is unlikely due to the homogenous and isotropic nature of the universe. They also clarify that dark energy is not a dynamic force and that Einstein did not debunk the concept of cosmological constant. They suggest doing more research on the topic and asking specific questions for a better understanding.
Harry Gillman
I don't really know about theories on dark energy, but could "it" be an explosion and the shockwave causing the increase in the rate the universe is expanding at?
Or have there already been studies on it?

Thanks, Harry. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The shockwave from an explosion really is like a pulse of energy that travels through the air where the explosion is taking place. The accelerated expansion of the universe is not a localized pulse and does not dissipate like an explosion does.

Harry Gillman said:
I don't really know about theories on dark energy, but could "it" be an explosion and the shockwave causing the increase in the rate the universe is expanding at?
Or have there already been studies on it?

Thanks, Harry. :)

From what we know dark energy could be a kind of dynamical energy field/fluid which inhibits space and causes the apparent unusual expansion of the universe instead of the slowing down due to its repulsive effect (cosmological constant) ,Einstein had made a mention of it initially but then debunked it as his biggest blunder.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

Hi Harry, welcome to PF!
Harry Gillman said:
The best way to learn about a topic is to do some basic reading on it, and then try to ask more specific questions. Try starting withhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy" .
There are lots of reasons why what you're proposing doesn't quite fit; that article should point to some of them. If there are any specific questions you have, ask away!

ibysaiyan said:
From what we know dark energy could be a kind of dynamical energy field/fluid which inhibits space and causes the apparent unusual expansion of the universe instead of the slowing down due to its repulsive effect (cosmological constant) ,Einstein had made a mention of it initially but then debunked it as his biggest blunder.
This is an incredibly confusing and inaccurate response.
Dynamic: It is ambiguous what you mean by 'dynamical', but in many respects dark energy is one of the least 'dynamic' things in the universe.
Inhibits space: what is that supposed to mean?
slowing down due to its repulsive effect (cosmological constant): The 'repulsion' is what leads to accelerated expansion, not slowing down. The expansion of the universe is accelerating. And the 'cosmological constant' is another way of describing 'dark energy', they aren't altogether separate concepts.
Einstein: Einstein did not 'debunk' the cosmological constant. The famous quote and story is in regards to his methodology and the reasoning behind his actions, not the constant itself---which we believe to be effectively correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Gillman said:

Probably not.

One of the things that appears to be true about the universe is that it is more or less homogenous and isotropic. What that means is that one part of the universe is pretty much the same as some other part of the universe.

Blast waves aren't homogenous or isotropic.

zhermes said:
Hi Harry, welcome to PF!
The best way to learn about a topic is to do some basic reading on it, and then try to ask more specific questions. Try starting withhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy" .
There are lots of reasons why what you're proposing doesn't quite fit; that article should point to some of them. If there are any specific questions you have, ask away!This is an incredibly confusing and inaccurate response.
Dynamic: It is ambiguous what you mean by 'dynamical', but in many respects dark energy is one of the least 'dynamic' things in the universe.
Inhibits space: what is that supposed to mean?
slowing down due to its repulsive effect (cosmological constant): The 'repulsion' is what leads to accelerated expansion, not slowing down. The expansion of the universe is accelerating. And the 'cosmological constant' is another way of describing 'dark energy', they aren't altogether separate concepts.
Einstein: Einstein did not 'debunk' the cosmological constant. The famous quote and story is in regards to his methodology and the reasoning behind his actions, not the constant itself---which we believe to be effectively correct.
Thanks for the correction ,my response may have been immature considering I have yet to start my degree but this is why I am on this forum although I have made it clear that it's the repulsion which is causing acceleration .I am also aware of the difference between cosmological constant which was brought up by Einstein due to his belief in a static universe until Hubble's discovery.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to [QUESTION]Dark energy could it be an explosion?

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 68% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. Could dark energy be an explosion?

No, dark energy is not an explosion. It is a constant force that is believed to be causing the universe to expand at an increasing rate.

3. How is dark energy different from dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two different concepts. Dark energy is a force that is believed to be causing the universe to expand, while dark matter is a type of matter that cannot be seen but has a gravitational effect on visible matter.

4. Is there any evidence for dark energy?

Yes, there is evidence for dark energy. Observations of supernovae, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and galaxy clusters all support the existence of dark energy and its role in the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. Can dark energy be harnessed for human use?

No, dark energy is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. Even if it is real, it is not a form of energy that can be harnessed or used by humans.