Question concerning superposition

• Thread starter aspirationtophysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Superposition
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between superposition and interpretations/counterfactual definiteness in quantum mechanics. While some interpretations propose an underlying model to explain superposition, it is still a fundamental part of the mathematical formalism and cannot be denied. Counterfactual definiteness is the ability to speak meaningfully about unmeasured results, and even in interpretations that reject it, the property of probability is still assigned to individual particles. The conversation concludes by suggesting to first understand superposition before further discussion.
aspirationtophysics
I have a question regarding superposition and its relation with interpretations/counterfactual definiteness. I've seen this question brought up a few times when browsing through forums although I don't think it has ever been fully addressed.

I've heard that counterfactual definiteness is not related to superpositions. According to one member of PF, "all superposition is is pure states form a vector space. It has nothing to do with CFD". This doesn't make sense to me, as I've been taught that in interpretations that preserve CFD superpositions don't exist. Take pilot wave theory for example, it claims that superpositions are not real and the phenomena observed in the double slit experiment are explained an invisible wave that "guides" the particles. As a result, CFD is preserved. In an interpretation that claims counterfactual definiteness is true, such as in pilot wave theory, it is even even possible to have probabilistic attributes of particles and not definite ones? A CFD interpretation is predicated upon determinism (or so I've been told), and so how can you have determinism with superposition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
However I suppose this leads to a contradiction.
Wiki says that counterfactual definiteness is "the ability to speak meaningfully of the definiteness of the results of measurements that have not been performed (i.e. the ability to assume the existence of objects, and properties of objects, even when they have not been measured)."
If this is true, even if we drop counterfactual definiteness, we're still assigning the property of probability to the individual particles.

Perhaps I'm reaching conclusions derived from misconceptions. ):

aspirationtophysics said:
Perhaps I'm reaching conclusions derived from misconceptions. ):

The best way to proceed in that case is to take it step by step.

First let's have an understanding of superposition.

For that have a read of the first chapter of the classic Dirac - Principles Of Quantum Mechanics. Its not perfect - without detailing its issues (I recall some threads discussing this if you want to look them up) - but as an explanation of the principle of superposition is rather good.

Once you have done that we can have a chat.

Thanks
Bill

aspirationtophysics said:
I've been taught that in interpretations that preserve CFD superpositions don't exist.
Superposition is a fundamental part of the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics and no interpretation says otherwise. Some interpretations propose an underlying superposition-free model to explain how superposition appears in QM - but that's not the same thing as saying that superposition doesn't exist.

An analogy: When you're in high school you learn about ideal gases and how they have these properties called "pressure" and "temperature" that obey Boyle's ##PV=nRT## but don't seem to have much of anything to do with Newton's laws or any of the rest of physics. Then in your second year of college or thereabouts you encounter statistical mechanics, which explains how individual atoms have neither temperature nor pressure but that a very large number of them bouncing around in accordance with Newton's laws will explain the behavior of ideal gases.

The (non-local realistic hidden variable) interpretations that preserve CFD are doing for quantum superposition what statistical mechanics does for temperature and pressure: explaining why they appear, not denying their existence.

Likes bhobba

Related to Question concerning superposition

What is superposition?

Superposition is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that a physical system can exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. This means that an object can be in two or more places at the same time, or have different properties at the same time.

How does superposition work?

Superposition works through the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles can behave as both waves and particles. This means that a particle can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time, until it is observed or measured.

What is the significance of superposition?

Superposition is significant because it allows for a better understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has practical applications in quantum computing, as the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously can be harnessed for more efficient processing and storage of information.

Can superposition be observed?

No, superposition cannot be observed directly. It is a theoretical concept that is used to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the effects of superposition can be observed through experiments and measurements.

What are the implications of superposition for our understanding of reality?

Superposition challenges our traditional understanding of reality, as it goes against our everyday experiences and observations. It suggests that at the quantum level, particles behave differently than what we are used to in our macroscopic world. This has led to debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the limitations of human perception.