Question concerning rigor of proofs

• Thread starter Mr.Rockwater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a proof for (ab)^-1 = a^-1b^-1, using basic laws of numbers. The expert advises them to be careful not to assume the conclusion and to prove it step by step, showing that (ab)^-1 = a^-1b^-1 is the only possible solution. The person thanks the expert for the advice.
Mr.Rockwater
I've just started Spivak's Calculus and I'm having a few questions concerning the validity of certain of my proofs since some of mine are not the same as the ones in the answer book.

Homework Statement

Here is one of the proof:

I need to prove that [itex](ab)^{-1}[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}[/itex][itex](b)^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I must only use the basic laws of numbers :

(PI) (Associative law for addition) a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c.
(P2) (Existence of an additive identity) a + 0 = 0 + a = a.
(P3) (Existence of additive inverses) a + (—a) = (—a) + a = 0.
(P4) (Commutative law for addition) a + b = b + a.
(P5) (Associative law for multiplication) a • (b • c) = (a • b) • c.
(P6) (Existence of a multiplicative a identity) a • 1 = 1 • a = a; 1 ≠ 0
(P7) (Existence of multiplicative inverses) a • [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] = [itex]a^{-1}[/itex]• a = 1, for a ≠ 0
(P8) (Commutative law for multiplication) a • b = b • a.
(P9) (Distributive law) a • (b + c) = a • b + a • c.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is :

[itex](ab)^{-1}[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}[/itex][itex](b)^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex](ab)^{-1} ab[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}[/itex][itex](b)^{-1} ab[/itex] (Multiply both sides by ab)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex](ab)^{-1} ab[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}a [/itex][itex](b)^{-1}b[/itex] (Commutative law for multiplication)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]1 = 1[/itex] (Existence of a multiplicative inverse)

Would this be regarded as a rigorous proof? I want to get good at this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Rockwater said:
I've just started Spivak's Calculus and I'm having a few questions concerning the validity of certain of my proofs since some of mine are not the same as the ones in the answer book.

Homework Statement

Here is one of the proof:

I need to prove that [itex](ab)^{-1}[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}[/itex][itex](b)^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I must only use the basic laws of numbers :

(PI) (Associative law for addition) a + (b + c) = (a + b) + c.
(P2) (Existence of an additive identity) a + 0 = 0 + a = a.
(P3) (Existence of additive inverses) a + (—a) = (—a) + a = 0.
(P4) (Commutative law for addition) a + b = b + a.
(P5) (Associative law for multiplication) a • (b • c) = (a • b) • c.
(P6) (Existence of a multiplicative a identity) a • 1 = 1 • a = a; 1 ≠ 0
(P7) (Existence of multiplicative inverses) a • [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] = [itex]a^{-1}[/itex]• a = 1, for a ≠ 0
(P8) (Commutative law for multiplication) a • b = b • a.
(P9) (Distributive law) a • (b + c) = a • b + a • c.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is :

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex](ab)^{-1} ab[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}[/itex][itex](b)^{-1} ab[/itex] (Multiply both sides by ab)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex](ab)^{-1} ab[/itex] = [itex](a)^{-1}a [/itex][itex](b)^{-1}b[/itex] (Commutative law for multiplication)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][itex]1 = 1[/itex] (Existence of a multiplicative inverse)

You have more-or-less the right idea, but you can clean it up: using a^(-1)*b^(-1) = b^(-1)*a^(-1), you can see (using associativity) that [a^(-1)*b^(-1)]*(ab) = 1, so a^(-1)*b^(-1) is an inverse of ab. However, this leaves one question: how do you know that a nonzero number has just ONE inverse? (If a number had several inverses, we might not have (ab)^(-1) = a^(-1)*b^(-1).)

RGV

Hmm.. I guess I just went with the property that says that (ab)^-1 * (ab) = 1 and since they were equal, I assumed that proved it.

I get your point that my proof doesn't necessarily prove that a^-1 * b^-1 = (ab)^-1 and nothing else (and vice-versa). So basically I should be taking one of the members and playing with it until it gives me 2nd member instead of getting them to equal the same value?

Mr.Rockwater said:

The first line above is what you are trying to prove, so don't start off by assuming the two quantities are equal.

Your last line is trivially true, but that doesn't necessarily mean that where you started from must be true.

Here's a somewhat exaggerated example:

Prove: 2 = 3
==> 0*2 = 0*3
==> 0 = 0

Does the fact that 0 is obviously equal to itself then somehow imply that the first equation above is also true?

Your work should conclude that (ab)-1 = a-1b-1, not start off assuming this is so.

Thank you for your precious advice! Thanks to the school system, I've never learned to actually prove anything in mathematics. That's exactly the type of advice I was looking for :smile:

Related to Question concerning rigor of proofs

1. What is the importance of rigor in mathematical proofs?

Rigor is essential in mathematical proofs because it ensures that the conclusions drawn from the proof are true and reliable. A rigorous proof follows a logical and precise argument, leaving no room for doubt or error. Without rigor, a proof may contain hidden assumptions or logical fallacies, leading to incorrect conclusions.

2. How can one determine the rigor of a mathematical proof?

There are several ways to determine the rigor of a mathematical proof. One can check for the proper use of definitions, axioms, and theorems. It is also important to check for logical consistency and coherence in the argument. Additionally, one can also attempt to reproduce the proof to see if the same conclusions are reached.

3. Can a proof be considered rigorous if it contains mistakes or errors?

No, a proof cannot be considered rigorous if it contains mistakes or errors. A rigorous proof must be flawless and free of errors. Any mistakes or errors can invalidate the entire proof and lead to incorrect conclusions.

4. Are there any specific criteria for determining the rigor of a proof?

While there may not be a specific set of criteria, there are certain qualities that a rigorous proof should possess. These include logical coherence, proper use of definitions and axioms, clear and concise arguments, and reproducibility. Additionally, a proof should also be able to withstand scrutiny and critical analysis.

5. How does the level of rigor differ in different areas of mathematics?

The level of rigor may vary in different areas of mathematics, depending on the complexity of the subject and the level of detail required. For example, proofs in pure mathematics may require more rigorous and formal arguments compared to applied mathematics, where approximations and assumptions may be used. However, regardless of the field, all mathematical proofs should strive for a high level of rigor to ensure the validity of their conclusions.