Question: can we make wind during motion

• Thread starter Ghostinthemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion Wind
In summary, the distance traveled and force applied when moving your hand affects the amount of air moved. When moving the hand a shorter distance, less air is moved due to the smaller volume passed by the hand. The concept of creating wind through hand motion is subjective and not a physics question.
Ghostinthemachine
Why when I move my hand faster to long distance and apply force I get more air but when I move my hand fast to shorter distance I barely get any air

Physics news on Phys.org
Ghostinthemachine said:
Why when I move my hand faster to long distance and apply force I get more air but when I move my hand fast to shorter distance I barely get any air
The shorter the distance, the less air you move, because the volume passed by the hand is smaller.

Ghostinthemachine said:
And this is surprising, why exactly?

phinds said:
And this is surprising, why exactly?

Maybe @Ghostinthemachine you could describe what you think should happen.

can we make wind during motion for example when I move my hands or it’s just wind disturbance and wind that is already there?

[Mentor Note -- Multiple thread starts on the same question have been merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
You can move air. Whether to call that ”wind” or not isn’t a physics question.

Related to Question: can we make wind during motion

1. How can we make wind during motion?

Wind is created when air particles are set into motion. One way to create wind during motion is to use a fan or other device that moves air. Another way is to move through the air, such as by running or biking.

2. What is the purpose of creating wind during motion?

Creating wind during motion can have various purposes. It can be used for ventilation, to cool down a space, or to generate electricity through wind turbines. It can also be used for recreational purposes, such as sailing or flying kites.

3. Can wind be created without any external force?

No, wind cannot be created without an external force. Air particles need to be set into motion by something, such as heat, pressure differences, or mechanical force, in order for wind to be created.

4. How does wind affect the environment during motion?

Wind can have both positive and negative effects on the environment during motion. On one hand, it can help with pollination, seed dispersal, and air circulation. On the other hand, strong winds can cause damage to structures and vegetation, and can also contribute to erosion.

5. Is it possible to control the direction and strength of wind during motion?

Yes, it is possible to control the direction and strength of wind during motion to some extent. For example, by adjusting the angle of a fan or the shape of a sail, we can change the direction and strength of the wind. However, natural winds are influenced by various factors and are not easily controlled.