Derek Muller and UCLA Prof. Alexander Kusenko -- Downwind Physics Wager

In summary, Derek Muller won a $10,000 wager against UCLA professor Alexander Kusenko by showing that a unpowered car going downwind can go faster than the wind. Many people here are discussing whether or not we really understand the kinematics of the wind forces and transport phenomenon fully enough to model this correctly and obtain the right understanding without Derek running an experiment.
Jay_
Derek Muller is the Veritasium YouTube channel host and he had a wager against UCLA professor Alexander Kusenko on whether a unpowered car going downwind can go faster than the wind.

Derek Muller said it can go faster than the wind, while Alexander Kusenko said it only seems that way because the wind slows down and the car continues to move on its own inertia.

I guess many of you must have been following this wager and the surprising thing is Derek Muller won this wager for $10,000.
https://www.iflscience.com/physics/youtuber-derek-muller-won-a-10000-physics-bet-against-professor/

This leads to my question:
Do we not really understand the kinematics of the wind forces and transport phenomenon fully enough to model this correctly and obtain the right understanding without Derek running an experiment? Or was the professor just not taking everything into consideration when he thought of his explanation here?

What wasn't considered when Alexander Kusenko was explaining that was explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really not surprising to most long term members here, and it's been discussed extensively many, many times. There's a currently active thread that discusses this exact video and wager here (the video discussion is a couple pages in), but there are older discussions here, here, here, and I'm sure several other places that didn't show up in my 10 seconds of searching. As you can see, this was really a hot topic about a decade ago here, and has been pretty settled here ever since, but part of what makes it so intriguing to so many people is that it is very counterintuitive, which leads a lot of (even very qualified) people to confidently proclaim it must be impossible.

We definitely understand the behavior of propellers and kinematics well enough to easily analyze such a vehicle, and show that it is possible, but usually, people don't bother to fully analyze it in a correct and comprehensive way before just declaring it impossible, hence the (extended) discussions and wagers.

• Informative
Likes nsaspook and Jay_
I guess the main thing is like you mentioned they don't bother to fully analyze it. I will look at the other links. An interesting conversation on this would be understanding the conservation of energy in this scenario.

Thanks @cjl for posting the links to all of the discussions (including the very good current one) -- you beat me to it. :smile:

@Jay_ please continue any discussion in the current thread. Thank you.

Likes cjl

Related to Derek Muller and UCLA Prof. Alexander Kusenko -- Downwind Physics Wager

1. Who is Derek Muller and UCLA Prof. Alexander Kusenko?

Derek Muller is a science communicator and YouTuber known for his channel Veritasium, which focuses on science education and debunking common misconceptions. Prof. Alexander Kusenko is a theoretical physicist and professor at UCLA, specializing in astroparticle physics and cosmology.

2. What is the Downwind Physics Wager?

The Downwind Physics Wager is a bet made between Derek Muller and Prof. Alexander Kusenko regarding the effects of downwind physics on the spread of airborne particles. Muller believes that particles will spread evenly in all directions, while Kusenko believes that particles will accumulate in the downwind direction due to turbulence and other factors.

3. What inspired the Downwind Physics Wager?

The Downwind Physics Wager was inspired by a video produced by Muller on his Veritasium channel, where he demonstrated the spread of particles in a wind tunnel. Kusenko disagreed with the results and the wager was made to settle their differences.

4. What is the outcome of the Downwind Physics Wager?

The outcome of the Downwind Physics Wager has not been determined yet. The bet was made in 2017 and the results are still being analyzed. Both Muller and Kusenko have stated that they are open to changing their beliefs based on the evidence.

5. How is the Downwind Physics Wager relevant to science?

The Downwind Physics Wager is relevant to science because it highlights the importance of testing hypotheses and using evidence to support or refute claims. It also demonstrates the value of open-mindedness and willingness to change one's beliefs based on new information.