Question about transverse standing wave including violin string

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the frequency of a violin string when it is fingered at one half of the way down from the end. The formula f=nv/2L is mentioned and the value of n is discussed, with the conclusion that it would be 1/2. The conversation also examines the effect of fingering on the string's frequency and discusses the possibility of an algebraic error. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of a mistake and gratitude for the help provided.
pinal08854
I have a question on this problem
1. 10. A violin string vibrates at 335 Hz when unfingered. At what frequency will it vibrate if it is fingered one half of the way down from the end?

For this one I worked out that string is fixed at both ends because its in a violin so I am thinking of using f=n v/2L where L=1 lambda/2 and v= lambda f. So overall it comes out to be f= nf, so in this case the n would be 1, right so the answer would be the same...right?
I don't know if this is the right approach but this is what I am thinkin...any suggestions might help me figure out this problem..
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'fingered' reference refers to actually holding the string down at its midway point making the string half the length of the unfingered or open position. It is not a reference to plucking half way down the string as I believe you have taken it to be.

Yes, I agree with Kurdt .
Also note that at the point of fingering , there exists a node .
What is the value of n then ?

so that means the value of n would be 1/2, right? because it's fingered half way through the wave. Wouldn't n be a whole number..I really have no idea

The string becomes fixed at a new position (i.e. L/2) so find the frequency of the string with this length instead of the old.

so basically the new frequency is half of original one which would be 167.5 Hz, right? because if I substitute this in place of L I get f= n f/2 which comes out to be 335/2= 167.5...right? Am I making sense?

I think your algebra is a little out it should be double but I'll leave it to you to try and find your mistake. If you still have trouble don't hesitate to post again.

Yes, it should be double.
Can you physically "see" why the frequency increases ?
As suggested you have made some algebraic error .

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Albert Einstein

You guys are right...I made a stupid algebraic mistake and figured it out to be 670 Hz instead of 167.5 Hz. I plugged in L/2 in the wrong place...stupid substitution error...Thanks a lot for helping me, guys.

Related to Question about transverse standing wave including violin string

1. What is a transverse standing wave?

A transverse standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This results in a wave pattern that appears to be standing still, with points of maximum and minimum amplitude.

2. How does a violin string produce a transverse standing wave?

A violin string is attached to both ends and can vibrate freely in the transverse direction. When the string is plucked, it creates a wave that travels in both directions along the string. When the waves reflect off the ends of the string, they interfere and create a standing wave pattern.

3. What factors affect the formation of a transverse standing wave in a violin string?

The formation of a transverse standing wave in a violin string is affected by the tension, length, and mass of the string. These factors determine the frequency and wavelength of the wave, which ultimately determines the pattern of the standing wave.

4. How does the position of nodes and antinodes change on a violin string when the frequency is increased?

As the frequency of the wave increases, the distance between nodes and antinodes decreases. This means that the standing wave pattern appears to have more nodes and antinodes, as the wave has less time to travel along the string before reflecting off the ends.

5. What is the significance of transverse standing waves in the sound produced by a violin?

The standing wave pattern produced by a violin string determines the pitch and timbre of the sound produced. By changing the tension, length, and mass of the string, a violinist can create different standing wave patterns and produce different notes. This is essential for playing music on a violin.