Question about Thermal Energy Transfer

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of a silver block that is submerged in water and reaches thermal equilibrium. The formula q = M x Cs x Δ T is used to calculate the heat, which is then used in the equation 1/M = Cs x ΔT/ q to find the mass of the silver block. The final answer is 77.5 grams, with a small margin of error.
Mr. College

Homework Statement

A silver block, initially at 58.5* C is submerged into 100.0 g of water at 24.8* C, in an insulated container. The final temperature of the mixture upon reaching thermal equilibrium is 26.2* C. What is the mass of the silver block?

Homework Equations

q = M x Cs x Δ T

1/M = Cs x ΔT/ q

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm fairly sure this is right, but want to make sure I didn't get lucky. This question is pretty complex for my first one in the HW. So I decided that I'd rearrange the formula to find the heat and put the search for M. When I did this I found out I had all the variables for this except heat, so I calculated the heat of water with (100g x 4.18 x 1.4) then I plugged that into the equation 1/m = .235 SH x 32.3 *C/585.2 and when I got that answer I put it over one and came up with 77.5 grams of silver

Thoughts? Easier way to do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks good. I get the same answer (well, maybe with a small error due to calculation, I got 77.1, but it's pretty close to yours). And I can't think of any easier way to do it. I think you have done it the way that they expect you to. Nice work, man.

Related to Question about Thermal Energy Transfer

1. What is thermal energy transfer?

Thermal energy transfer is the movement of heat from one object to another due to a temperature difference between the two objects.

2. What are the different modes of thermal energy transfer?

The three modes of thermal energy transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does thermal energy transfer affect the temperature of an object?

Thermal energy transfer can cause an object to either gain or lose heat, which in turn affects its temperature. If an object gains more heat than it loses, its temperature will increase, and vice versa.

4. What factors affect the rate of thermal energy transfer?

The rate of thermal energy transfer is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between the two objects, the type of material the objects are made of, the surface area of the objects, and the distance between the objects.

5. How is thermal energy transfer important in everyday life?

Thermal energy transfer is important in everyday life as it is responsible for regulating the temperature of our surroundings. It also plays a crucial role in processes such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and transportation. Understanding thermal energy transfer is essential for improving energy efficiency and reducing energy waste.