Question about the math involved in E-field calculations

In summary, the equation for the electric field at a point above a line of charge is \int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } . However, if the point is right in the middle of the line, the horizontal (cosine) components cancel out, leaving only the vertical components. To get the correct expression, you need to add a sine term.
Sho Kano
When calculating the electric field from a point above a line of charge using coulomb's law, the integral that comes up is of the form [itex]\int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } [/itex]. But if the point we were asked for is right in the middle, the horizontal (cosine) components cancel out, leaving only the vertical components, so we'd have to throw in a sine term to make the expression correct. Why, if we add the sine and cosine components, the result is not equal to the expression without sine and cosines?
Namely,
[itex]\int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } \neq { \left( \int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } sin\theta \right) }^{ 2 }\quad +\quad { \left( \int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } cos\theta \right) }^{ 2 } [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:
the integral that comes up is of the form ...
You probably should post your reference for this so we can all be clear. This expression seems too simple to me, so I suspect that they are making some important assumptions.

Dale said:
You probably should post your reference for this so we can all be clear. This expression seems too simple to me, so I suspect that they are making some important assumptions.
Here is an image I found on the web
SymmetricLine.gif

The calculation (if I replace d with a, and the charges are taken to be positive ones)
[itex]dE\quad =\quad k\lambda \frac { dx }{ { r }^{ 2 } } \\ E\quad =\quad k\lambda \int _{ -a }^{ a }{ \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } sin\theta \\ sin\theta \quad =\quad \frac { a }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } [/itex]

Ok, so you are assuming the point which is on the line bisecting the charge segment and at a distance equal to half the length of the segment.

Dale said:
Ok, so you are assuming the point which is on the line bisecting the charge segment and at a distance equal to half the length of the segment.
Oh I see, sorry. What I mean is a = -a, but I didn't mean for the distance of the point away from the line to be a too. It doesn't matter though does it?

Sho Kano said:
Oh I see, sorry. What I mean is a = -a, but I didn't mean for the distance of the point away from the line to be a too. It doesn't matter though does it?
Well, if d is different from a then d will need to show up in your expression.

Ok, here is what I have to make it more clear (according to the picture)
[itex]dE\quad =\quad k\lambda \frac { dx }{ { r }^{ 2 } } \\ E\quad =\quad k\lambda \int _{ -a }^{ a }{ \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ d }^{ 2 } } } sin\theta \\ sin\theta \quad =\quad \frac { d }{ \sqrt { { x }^{ 2 }+{ d }^{ 2 } } } [/itex]

Yes, that all looks right. The d is inside the integral and the a shows up only in the limits.

Dale said:
Yes, that all looks right. The d is inside the integral and the a shows up only in the limits.
I guess my question is: If the sine component measures the vertical contribution, and the cosine measures the horizontal, what does [itex]\int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } [/itex] do?

Sho Kano said:
I guess my question is: If the sine component measures the vertical contribution, and the cosine measures the horizontal, what does [itex]\int { \frac { dx }{ { x }^{ 2 }+{ a }^{ 2 } } } [/itex] do?

It measures the total contribution. When you do the integral, only the vertical contribution survives.

Last edited:
pixel said:
It measures the total contribution. When you do the integral, only the vertical contribution survives.
That integral comes out as [itex]\frac { 1 }{ a } arctan(1)\quad -\quad \frac { 1 }{ a } arctan(-1)\quad =\quad \frac { \pi }{ 2a } [/itex], which is not equal to the one with sine theta factored in

Sho Kano said:
The integrand measures the magnitude of the E field from one small piece of the charge, but the integral is not physically meaningful.

If you have two force vectors (3,0) and (0,4) then the resultant force is (3,4). The magnitude of the resultant force is 5, not 7. You can write down the sum of the magnitudes, and you can calculate it, but it isn't useful as far as I know.

Likes Sho Kano
Thanks, that cleared some things up. That integral is not physically meaningful because the fields are not all in the same direction.

Sho Kano said:
pixel said:

I see now what you were asking. Yes, the integrand is the magnitude of the E-field, including horizontal and vertical components, from a small element on the line. The integral would be adding those contributions without taking the direction of the components into account. An easy way to see this is If d = 0. We'd expect a zero net field at the point of interest, because of equal contributions from the left and right side, but the integral would give a nonzero result, so not meaningful as already mentioned.

Related to Question about the math involved in E-field calculations

1. What is the equation for calculating the electric field (E-field)?

The equation for calculating the electric field (E-field) is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point of interest.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the electric field (E-field)?

The magnitude of the electric field (E-field) can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where Q is the charge and r is the distance between the charge and the point of interest. The magnitude of the E-field is a scalar quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. How does distance affect the strength of the electric field (E-field)?

The strength of the electric field (E-field) is inversely proportional to the distance between the charge and the point of interest. This means that as the distance increases, the E-field decreases. This relationship is described by the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. On the other hand, electric field is a vector quantity that measures the force per unit charge at a point in an electric field. In simpler terms, electric potential is the energy that a charge would have at a specific point, while electric field is the force that a charge would experience at that point.

5. Can the electric field (E-field) be negative?

Yes, the electric field (E-field) can be negative. This indicates the direction of the force that a positive charge would experience at that point. A negative E-field means that the force would be directed towards the negative charge. However, the magnitude of the E-field is always positive as it is calculated using the distance between the charges, which is always positive.