Question about the limit of a square root

In summary, the limit as x approaches 6 from the left of the function √(3x-18) does not exist because the limit from the left and right sides are not equal. This can be seen by evaluating the function at different values of x approaching 6 and getting complex numbers, which are not allowed in this case. Therefore, the calculator may be giving an incorrect result.
wiz0r
Hello!

I got the following exercise:

[tex]\frac{lim}{x\rightarrow6-}[/tex] [tex]{\sqrt{3x-18}}[/tex]

Now, since I need to evaluate the limit from the function coming from the left to the right that means that I can evaluate the function using x as a value very close to 6, but not six, right? So, since I would have a negative square root to evaluate then the limit does not exist, right?

But, how come when I evaluate that limit on my TI-89 calculator, and some online calculator I get that the limit is zero?

Can someone please explain to me what's going on? I'd be very appreciated. Thank you.

Edwin

Physics news on Phys.org
taking the limit from the left doesn't mean you are to evaluate a negative square root. As you can go from 1,2,3,4,5,6 and as you take values of f(1),f(2),f(3) and so on you will see the limit is zero. [f(x)=√(3x-18)]

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand.

You see I got an example in my notebook that the professor did, and it is:

[tex]\frac{lim}{x\rightarrow3-}[/tex] [tex]{\sqrt{2x-6}}[/tex]

And she told me that the limit didn't exist, but I didn't really understand her explanation. That exercise seems practically the same as the other one, and yet on both exercises the calculator tells me that the limit coming from the left is 0.

I'm really confused, does this means that my professor is wrong? I mean if I evaluate the first exercises in 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 I would have negative roots, no? Doesn't that tells me that the limit doesn't exists?

wiz0r said:

And she told me that the limit didn't exist, but I didn't really understand her explanation. That exercise seems practically the same as the other one, and yet on both exercises the calculator tells me that the limit coming from the left is 0.

I'm really confused, does this means that my professor is wrong? I mean if I evaluate the first exercises in 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 I would have negative roots, no? Doesn't that tells me that the limit doesn't exists?

You are right. Your instructor is right. The calculator is wrong. There is no limit from the left. Unless you allow complex roots. But I don't think that's what the question is about.

wiz0r said:

Forget what I said about the negative square root thing.

For lim(x→a) f(x) to exist then lim(x →a+)f(x) = lim(x→a-)f(x)

This basically means that for the limit to exist, the limit as you approach 'a' from the left must be the as if you approached 'a' from the right.

Now in your example: lim(x→6-)√(3x-18), if we use complex numbers (i=√-1),

if we compute from 1,2,3,4,5,6

we can see that

1: √(-15) =√15i

2: √(-12)=√12i

3: √(-9)=3i

4: √(-6)=√6i

5: √(-3)=√3i

6: √0 = 0

so you can see as x goes from 1 to 6, the complex numbers are getting lesser and lesser and are tending to zero. So you can say that the limit as x→6- of √(3x-18) is 0

EDIT: Dick is right if you are only meant to use real numbers. I used complex numbers, if you didn't do this topic yet, then disregard my post.

Related to Question about the limit of a square root

1. What is the limit of a square root?

The limit of a square root is the highest value that the square root of a number can approach as the number approaches a certain value. This value is known as the limit point.

2. How do you find the limit of a square root?

To find the limit of a square root, you can use the limit laws and algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the denominator, and multiplying by the conjugate. You can also use a graphing calculator or online limit calculator.

3. What is the difference between the limit of a square root and the value of a square root?

The limit of a square root is a theoretical concept, while the value of a square root is the actual numerical result. The limit describes what the square root approaches as the number gets closer and closer to a certain value, while the value is the actual number that the square root equals.

4. Can the limit of a square root be negative?

Yes, the limit of a square root can be negative if the number inside the square root is negative. In this case, the limit point would be a negative value.

5. Why is the limit of a square root important?

The limit of a square root is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics as it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of a function near a certain value. It also allows us to determine the continuity and differentiability of a function at a specific point.