Question about the cosmological constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of dark energy, cosmological constant, and the equilibrium state of a flat universe. The main question is why a flat universe, with a balance between mass-energy and expansion rate, does not result in a static spatial extension. It is explained that without a cosmological constant, there is a border case where expansion slows down over time, but with it, the universe either collapses or expands exponentially. It is also clarified that a flat universe does not have a constant expansion rate, as gravity will respond to keep the universe flat but the expansion will not be constant.
Gerinski
Layman here, please excuse my ignorance. I believe to understand the basics of SR, GR, cosmic expansion, etc but questions come to mind now and then.

As I understand, dark energy, the cosmological constant, vacuum energy, whatever you may call it, remains a constant per space volume unit. Empty space has an intrinsic tendency to expand. Mass-energy in space has the opposite effect, slowing down this expansion. If the mass-energy density is higher than the cosmological constant, space will contract. If it is lower, space expansion will continue at an accelerating rate. So far so good.

What I do not understand is the "equilibrium" situation of a flat universe, in which the mass-energy contents of the universe exactly balances the rate of expansion. Frequently I have read that this results in a universe which keeps expanding forever but at a fixed rate, neither accelerating nor slowing down.

I do not understand why this "equilibrium" should not be a space which does neither expand not contract, a static spatial extension where neither expansion nor contraction can beat each other. If space keeps on expanding (at a non-accelerating, not-decelerating rate as it is said for a flat universe), the mass-energy density per space volume unit should decrease. Dark energy remains constant per space volume unit, while mass-energy density per space volume unit would decrease as space expands. Intuitively this would mean that per space volume unit, the rate of dark energy to mass-energy would be constantly increasing, boosting space expansion to a faster and faster rate. I do not understand why such an expanding space without mass-energy being added can remain not-accelerating expanding.

Where is the flaw in my understanding?

Thanks for the answers!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gerinski said:
If the mass-energy density is higher than the cosmological constant, space will contract.
Not necessarily. An expansion will slow down, or a collapse will speed up. It is mainly acting on the derivative.

There is no stable configuration where the size stays constant. Without cosmological constant (!), there is a border case where expansion slows down over time with a limit of zero expansion rate at "infinite" expansion. With it, that cannot happen - it either collapses or expands exponentially in the long run.

Gerinski said:
Frequently I have read that this results in a universe which keeps expanding forever but at a fixed rate, neither accelerating nor slowing down.
This seems to be the source of your problem-- where have you read that? It isn't true at all. Expansion at a fixed rate (meaning that the rate of change of distance from us to some distant galaxy cluster remains constant with time) is the situation if there is negligible gravity, which is an open universe with negative curvature, not a flat universe. To get an expanding universe to be flat, you need to put gravity in, and the gravity will respond to the expansion to keep the universe flat, but the expansion will not be constant. For example, the way things apparently work, dark energy is accelerating the expansion, even though the universe is spatially flat.

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter Λ (lambda), is a term in Einstein's field equations of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It is often associated with the expansion of the universe and plays a role in its overall geometry.

2. What is the significance of the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is significant because it helps to explain the observed accelerating expansion of the universe. Without it, the universe would either be expanding too quickly or collapsing under the force of gravity. It also plays a role in determining the overall structure and fate of the universe.

3. How is the cosmological constant related to dark energy?

The cosmological constant is closely related to dark energy, which is the mysterious force driving the accelerated expansion of the universe. Many scientists believe that the cosmological constant could be a manifestation of dark energy, but this is still an area of ongoing research and debate.

4. Can the value of the cosmological constant change over time?

The value of the cosmological constant is thought to be a constant, as its name implies. However, there are theories and models that suggest it may vary over time or in different regions of the universe. This is another topic that is still being studied and explored by scientists.

5. How does the cosmological constant affect the shape of the universe?

The value of the cosmological constant has a direct impact on the overall geometry of the universe. If the value is positive, it suggests a closed universe with positive curvature, while a negative value would indicate an open universe with negative curvature. The current evidence suggests that the value is very close to zero, indicating a flat universe with zero curvature.