Question about spontaneous creation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of spontaneous creation on the quantum level and how it relates to the concept of matter being never created or destroyed, only rearranged. The person is curious about the statement made in the book "The Grand Design" by Hawking and Mlodinow about particles springing out of "Nothing" at the quantum level. They also mention their interest in physics and science with limited formal education in those fields.
Micsunderland
Hey, everyone. This is my first post.

I am a physics and science lover with little university level schooling in those fields.

I was reading the new hawking/mlodinow book "The grand design",a nd had a question about the spontaneous creation on the quantum level.

The book states that when there is "Nothing", that at the quantum level, some particles will eventually spring out of it. *correct me if i am understanding that wrong.)

I was curious what that does to the current notion that matter is never created or destroyed, only rearanged.

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
that is where matter is considered to be a concentrated form of energy. So it is true.

Related to Question about spontaneous creation.

1. What is spontaneous creation?

Spontaneous creation, also known as spontaneous generation, is the belief that living organisms can arise from non-living matter without the need for a preexisting life form.

2. Is spontaneous creation considered a valid scientific theory?

No, spontaneous creation has been disproven by numerous scientific experiments and is not considered a valid scientific theory. It is considered a superstition or pseudoscience.

3. Who believed in spontaneous creation?

The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle is often credited with proposing the idea of spontaneous creation, but it was also believed by many other cultures and societies throughout history.

4. What is the difference between spontaneous creation and abiogenesis?

Spontaneous creation refers to the belief that living organisms can arise spontaneously from non-living matter, while abiogenesis refers to the scientific theory that life on Earth originated from non-living matter through natural processes.

5. Why is spontaneous creation no longer accepted by the scientific community?

Spontaneous creation was disproven by experiments such as Francesco Redi's meat experiment and Louis Pasteur's swan-neck flask experiment. These experiments showed that living organisms cannot arise from non-living matter, and therefore spontaneous creation is no longer accepted by the scientific community.