Question about speed of an electric current

In summary, the strength of the current in two identical copper wires, one insulated and one uninsulated, will depend on the medium the wire is in. If the medium is non-conductive, the current will be the same in both wires. However, if the medium is conductive, the uninsulated wire will have less current. This situation does not affect the speed of the current, only the amount. If you are interested in the speed of the current, further research on electron drift velocity and high frequency regimes is recommended. In high frequency regimes, the impedance and losses of the line may vary depending on the medium, resulting in potentially different speeds and damping of the signal.
cornsmith
Hello!

Supposed I had 2 identical copper wires, I'll call them A and B.

I insulate wire A with whatever the standard wire insulation is, and leave wire B alone (uninsulated).

I'll now send an identical signal (same voltage and power) through each wire. Will the current be identical at the end of each wire? Will it be weaker or slower?

Thanks!
-Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the medium that the wire is in. If the medium is non conductive then it will be the same. But if the medium is conductive then the uninsulated wire will have less current.

The situation you pose has nothing to do with the speed of the current, only with the amount, so your subject line is misleading.

If you are interested in current "speed" then Google "electron drift velocity". You might be surprised.

As you talk about "signal", do you have in mind a high frequency regime, with wave packets propagating along the line?
In this case I think that the impedance of the line may depend on the medium. Probably that the losses too will depend on the medium.
So both speed and damping of the signal may be different.

Hello Michael,

Great question! The speed of an electric current is determined by the material it is traveling through, not the insulation. Therefore, the current in wire A and B will have the same speed at the end of the wires. However, the insulation on wire A may slow down the flow of electrons slightly due to the extra resistance it adds to the circuit. This means that the current in wire A may be slightly weaker than the current in wire B, but the difference should be minimal. Overall, the current in both wires will be very similar and will reach the end at nearly the same time. I hope this helps clarify your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries.

Best,

Related to Question about speed of an electric current

1. What is the speed of an electric current?

The speed of an electric current is typically measured in meters per second and can vary depending on the type of material the current is passing through.

2. Can the speed of an electric current be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of an electric current is limited by the properties of the material it is traveling through and cannot exceed the speed of light.

3. Does the speed of an electric current change depending on the amount of voltage?

Yes, the speed of an electric current can change depending on the amount of voltage applied. Higher voltages can result in faster currents.

4. How do we measure the speed of an electric current?

The speed of an electric current is typically measured using instruments such as an oscilloscope or a multimeter.

5. Can the speed of an electric current be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of an electric current can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and the conductivity of the material it is traveling through.