Question about the current through a strong insulator

abdossamad2003
Suppose we put a strong insulator under our feet. In this case, when we connect the test light to the electrical outlet, the light of the test light lights turn on. I wonder how the electric current can pass through the strong insulator. If we calculate, the electric current cannot be more than 10^-18 amp which cannot turn on the test light lamp in any way.

Physics news on Phys.org
abdossamad2003 said:
I wonder how the electric current can pass through the strong insulator.
The current that flows is AC at the mains frequency. The small current needed to light the test light passes through the capacitance between your body and the nearby ground.

A thick sheet of good insulator will also conduct current across the hygroscopic dirty surface and around the edges of the sheet to ground.

Edit; Do the numbers.
Assume a minimum of 100 pF of body capacitance, 50 Hz, 230 Vrms.
Vpp = 2.8 * 230 = 650 volts slew in about 10 ms.
C = q/v = i·t/v ; i·t = c·v ; i = c·v/t
Average current; 100e-12 * 650 / 0.01 = 6.5 uA

Last edited:
Likes DaveE and Delta2
abdossamad2003 said:
Suppose we put a strong insulator under our feet. In this case, when we connect the test light to the electrical outlet, the light of the test light lights turn on.
I'm confused by your question and situation. By "test light", do you mean an isolated AC Mains Safety Detection Device? If so, the answer given by @Baluncore is correct.

1705426252567.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluke-FLK2AC-90-1000V-90-1000-VAC-Detector/102480670

1. Why does current not flow through a strong insulator?

An insulator is a material that does not allow the flow of electric current due to its high resistance to the movement of electrons. Strong insulators have very tightly bound electrons that are not easily excited to move, preventing the flow of current.

2. Can a strong insulator conduct any amount of current?

Strong insulators have a very high resistance, so they are not able to conduct any significant amount of current. However, under extreme conditions such as high voltage or temperature, a small amount of current may flow through an insulator.

3. How is the current through a strong insulator different from a conductor?

Unlike conductors, strong insulators do not allow the flow of current. Conductors have low resistance and freely allow the movement of electrons, while insulators have high resistance and restrict the flow of electrons.

4. What factors affect the current through a strong insulator?

The current through a strong insulator is primarily determined by the resistance of the material and the applied voltage. Higher resistance and lower voltage result in minimal current flow through the insulator.

5. Can a strong insulator ever become a conductor?

In certain conditions, such as extreme heat or high voltage, a strong insulator may experience a breakdown of its molecular structure and become a conductor. This phenomenon is known as electrical breakdown and can result in the flow of current through the insulator.