Question about some math during wavefunction renormalization

In summary: Therefore, we are left with:\langle 0|[\phi(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle = \langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\ranglewhich is just the first statement. This shows that both statements are equivalent.I hope this explanation helps you better understand the derivation. Keep up the good work with your studies!In summary, the equal-time commutator of two fields can be written in terms of the Lehmann-Kallen decomposition and the renormalized field \phi'(x). The second statement in question is derived by differentiating the
Chopin
I've been going through Sidney Coleman's QFT video lectures (http://www.physics.harvard.edu/about/Phys253.html, with notes at http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1110/1110.5013v1.pdf). I'm up to the part on fixing counterterms for wavefunction renormalization (page 179 in the notes), and have what's hopefully just a stupid little math question.

We have a field [itex]\phi(x)[/itex], which obeys the CCR, and a renormalized field [itex]\phi'(x)=Z^{1/2}_3\phi(x)[/itex], which obeys the equation [itex]\langle k|\phi'(0)|0\rangle=1[/itex]. We now use the Lehmann-Kallen decomposition to determine that:

[tex]\langle 0|\phi'(x)\phi'(y)|0\rangle = \Delta_+(x-y,\mu^2) + \int^\infty_0{da^2\sigma(a^2)\Delta_+(x-y,a^2)}[/tex]

The text then goes on to use this to make a statement about [itex]Z_3[/itex] using the equal-time commutators, by saying that:

(1) [itex]\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle = iZ^{-1}_3\delta^{(3)}(x-y)[/itex]
(2) [itex]\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle = \delta^{(3)}(x-y) + \int^\infty_0{da^2\sigma(a^2)i\delta^{(3)}(x-y)}[/itex]

where (1) is by the definition of [itex]\phi'(x)[/itex], and (2) is by manipulation of the decomposition derived above. My question is about this second statement--the text essentially handwaves its derivation, but I'm not quite following it. It sounds like they're just differentiating the RHS of it, but I don't understand how that gives you [itex]\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle[/itex] on the left.

I'm sure it's just some kind of silly property of commutators or propagators or something that I'm not getting, but I'd appreciate if somebody could help me connect the dots. Can anybody show how to go through this derivation in slow motion?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your progress and question regarding Sidney Coleman's QFT video lectures. I am always excited to see others engaging with and learning about quantum field theory.

To answer your question, let's first define the equal-time commutator of two fields \phi(x) and \phi(y) as:

[\phi(x),\phi(y)] = \phi(x)\phi(y) - \phi(y)\phi(x)

Now, using the definition of \phi'(x) and \dot{\phi'}(y), we can rewrite the first statement as:

\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle = \langle 0|[\phi(x),\phi(y)]|0\rangle

This is because \phi'(x) and \dot{\phi'}(y) only differ from \phi(x) and \phi(y) by a constant factor Z_3^{1/2}, and the vacuum expectation value of a constant is just 1.

Now, let's focus on the second statement. We can rewrite it as:

\langle 0|[\phi(x),\phi(y)]|0\rangle = \langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle - \int^\infty_0{da^2\sigma(a^2)i\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle}

In other words, we have used the definition of \phi'(x) and \dot{\phi'}(y) to replace the first term in the integral with the first statement, and the second term represents the contribution from the integral in the Lehmann-Kallen decomposition.

Now, if we differentiate both sides of this equation with respect to x, we get:

\langle 0|[\phi(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle = \langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\int^\infty_0{da^2\sigma(a^2)i\langle 0|[\phi'(x),\dot{\phi'}(y)]|0\rangle}\right)

But since the integrand is independent of x, the integral on the right-hand side

Related to Question about some math during wavefunction renormalization

1. How is wavefunction renormalization used in physics?

Wavefunction renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to account for the effects of virtual particles on the observed properties of particles. It is used to calculate and correct for the self-energy of particles, which affects their mass and charge.

2. What is the purpose of wavefunction renormalization?

The purpose of wavefunction renormalization is to remove the infinities that arise in quantum field theory calculations. By adjusting the parameters in the theory, such as the mass and charge of particles, the infinities can be canceled out, making the calculations finite and more accurate.

3. How does wavefunction renormalization relate to the renormalization group?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of physical systems at different length scales. Wavefunction renormalization is one aspect of the renormalization group, specifically related to the effects of virtual particles on the observed properties of particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using wavefunction renormalization?

One limitation of wavefunction renormalization is that it only applies to theories that can be described by a Lagrangian. It also assumes that the underlying theory is renormalizable, meaning that the infinities can be canceled out by adjusting a finite number of parameters. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems at very high energies.

5. Can wavefunction renormalization be applied to all particles?

No, wavefunction renormalization is primarily used in quantum field theory, which describes the behavior of subatomic particles. It may not be applicable to larger particles, such as atoms or molecules, which are typically described using different theoretical frameworks.