Question about significant digits

In summary, a 2.6 kg mass hangs from a rope attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 8.5° with the vertical. Using the equations (Fnet)x=max and (Fnet)y=may, the acceleration of the car can be calculated to be approximately 1.465 m/s2. Webassign.net may be picky about significant digits, so it is important to carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error.
myelevatorbeat

Homework Statement

A 2.6 kg mass hangs at one end of a rope that is attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 8.5° with the vertical, as shown in Figure P4.68. Find the acceleration of the car.

Homework Equations

(Fnet)x=max
(Fnet)y=may

The Attempt at a Solution

(Fnet)y=may
Tcos8.5-mg=0
T=(2.6 x 9.8)/cos 8.5
T=25.76(Fnet)x=max
Tsin8.5=max
Tsin8.5/2.6=ax
ax=25.76 sin 8.5/2.6
ax=1.5NOW HERE'S MY PROBLEM:

I am doing homework on webassign.net and it is very picky about the significant digits in your answer. So far I've put in: 1.5, 1.4, 1.46, and 1.47.

I get 6 tries, which is frusturating because I know I solved it correctly, I just don't know how many significant digits. I assumed I would have 2 significant digits and the answer would be 1.5 because all the given values have 2 significant digits. If someone could help me figure it out, I would appreciate it.

Also (reason for edit): When I put in 1.5 and 1.4 I got this response:
Your answer is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error. m/s2

However, when I bring it out to 1.46 or 1.47 I don't get that message.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind! I put in 1.465 and it worked.

How frusturating though.

In this case, the answer should have three significant digits since the given values have three significant digits (2.6 kg, 8.5°). Therefore, the answer should be rounded to 1.46 m/s^2 or 1.47 m/s^2. It is important to carry out all intermediate calculations to at least one extra significant digit in order to minimize roundoff error.

Related to Question about significant digits

What are significant digits?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the digits in a number that carry meaning. They are the digits that are certain and can be relied upon in a measurement.

Why are significant digits important in science?

Significant digits are important in science because they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement. They help to convey the level of certainty in a number and allow for consistency in reporting data.

How do you determine the number of significant digits in a measurement?

The number of significant digits in a measurement is determined by counting all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. Trailing zeros after a decimal point are also considered significant. Leading zeros, however, are not significant and should not be included in the count.

What is the purpose of rounding significant digits?

Rounding significant digits is used to ensure that the final value is reported with the appropriate level of precision. It helps to avoid the appearance of a false sense of accuracy and conveys the level of uncertainty in a measurement.

Can significant digits be added or subtracted?

No, significant digits cannot be added or subtracted. When performing mathematical operations, the result should be rounded to the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the fewest significant digits.