Question about notation in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1

In summary, Feynman's notation for probability amplitude <x|s> meets Dirac's notation of bra ket inner product.
anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1 notation of probability amplitude <x|s> meets Dirac's notation of bra ket inner product ?
I have a question on formula (3.1) and (3.2) in Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1, available online,
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_03.html

<x|s> here can be interpreted also as inner product of bra <x| and ket |s>, following usual Dirac notation ?

For example, ##<r_1|r_2>## in formula (3.7), if we take it as inner product, it should be zero because bra and ket are position eigenvecors of different eigenvalues. Feynman treats it as a kind of Green function. Is Green function noted in the form of < | > as a usual way?

I do not find this notation of probability amplitude in other textbooks. Your teaching will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
Summary:: Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1 notation of probability amplitude <x|s> meets Dirac's notation of bra ket inner product ?

I have a question on formula (3.1) and (3.2) in Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1, available online,
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_03.html

<x|s> here can be interpreted also as inner product of bra <x| and ket |s>, following usual Dirac notation ?

Yes. Feynman's notation is the same the the usual Dirac braket inner product.

anuttarasammyak said:
For example, ##<r_1|r_2>## in formula (3.7), if we take it as inner product, it should be zero because bra and ket are position eigenvecors of different eigenvalues. Feynman treats it as a kind of Green function. Is Green function noted in the form of < | > as a usual way?

The inner product ##<r_2|r_1>## is not zero, because if you read Feynman's text he means ##<r_2|\text{the state at the time of measurement that evolved from a state localized at $r_1$ at an earlier time}>##

Last edited:
I have got it. For clarification of time difference or evolution I add suffix of time explicitly to <r2|r1>, i.e.
[tex]< \mathbf{r_2}_{\ t}|\mathbf{r_1}_{\ t0}> [/tex]
where ## t>t_0 ##.

In later lines I found he mentions clearly
[tex]<r,t=t_1|{P,t=0}>[/tex]

Thank you so much.

Likes atyy

1. What is the importance of notation in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1?

The notation used in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1 is crucial for understanding and communicating complex physical concepts. It allows for concise and precise mathematical representations of ideas and equations, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

2. What are some common notations used in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1?

Some common notations used in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1 include Greek letters, subscripts, superscripts, and mathematical symbols such as integrals and derivatives. These notations are used to represent variables, constants, and mathematical operations.

3. How does notation differ from language in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1?

Notation in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1 differs from language in that it is a more concise and universal way of representing mathematical concepts. While language can be ambiguous and subjective, notation is a standardized system that allows for clear and consistent communication of ideas.

4. Can I use my own notation when studying the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1?

While it is important to understand and use the notations presented in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1, you can also use your own notation as long as it is consistent and clearly defined. However, it is recommended to stick to the standard notations to avoid confusion and facilitate communication with others.

5. Are there any resources available for learning the notation used in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning the notation used in the Feynman Lectures on Physics III 3-1. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to consult with a physics teacher or tutor for guidance and clarification.