Very specific question about index notation

In summary: We'll just have to wait till he publishes them.In summary, the conversation discusses an equation (3.3) in a text about tensor calculus and the confusion surrounding the use of index notation. The author asks for clarification on how the inverse and transpose of a matrix are expressed in index notation and how to get from two matrices to the Kronecker delta. It is noted that the equation in question may be invalid due to its use of two μ's upstairs. The conversation also mentions the distinction between co- and contravariant indices and the use of the metric as the unit matrix.
mindarson
I am reading through this text

http://www.ita.uni-heidelberg.de/~dullemond/lectures/tensor/tensor.pdf

and am having a bit of trouble with one of the arguments that is put in index notation. Specifically, equation (3.3). I was wondering if anyone could have a look at it and clear up a confusion for me.

I understand the argument, i.e. that the 'old definition' (eqn (3.2) in the text) of the inner product is not invariant under coordinate transformation in general, which is why we need covectors, covariant components, etc.

My specific question is about how the index notation is used in eqn (3.3). The authors write that

s' = <a',b'> = Aμ αaαAμ βbβ = (AT)μ αAμ βaαbβ (3.3)

They then argue that this shows that only if A-1 = AT (so the 2 matrices together equal δβα) (i.e. only if the transformation is orthonormal) will the inner product actually come out to the same value that it had in the untransformed coordinate system.

My question is how to express the inverse and transpose of a matrix in index notation. Where did the transpose come from in the 3rd equality, and why did the indices on it not change position at all? How is the relationship between a matrix, its transpose, and its inverse expressed in index notation? How, exactly, do the authors read off from (3.3) the fact that A-1 must equal AT?

I do understand that, to complete the argument, we ultimately need α = β, but how does one get, in practice, from 2 matrices to the Kronecker delta? What would the multiplication of a matrix by its inverse to get the Kronecker delta actually look like when written out?

I understand the argument, but I need clarification on how the argument is being expressed specifically using index notation.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
This author is being very careless. Eq 3.3 is invalid, since it has two μ's upstairs. It should be written

Aμα aα Aμβ bβ

The transpose of a tensor is obtained the same way as the transpose of a matrix - by interchanging rows and columns. So Aμα = (AT)αμ. Thus we have

(AT)αμ Aμβ aα bβ

The inverse of Aμβ is defined as the tensor (A-1)αμ such that

(A-1)αμ Aμβ = δβα

and thus comparing the last two eqs we have (AT)αμ = (A-1)αμ

Likes etotheipi and mindarson
Hi Bill, it's valid as he didn't assume that <mu> upstairs differs from <mu> downstairs. Actually he uses the metric as the unit matrix, so he's free to place the indices wherever he wants. It's like special relativity with x4=ict.

Are you sure? He does draw a distinction between co- and contravariant indices. In fact he says earlier

To make further distinction between contravariant and covariant vectors we will put the contravariant indices (i.e. the indices of contravariant vectors) as superscript and the covariant indices (i.e. the indices of covariant vectors) with subscripts

Then you're right and the notes are badly written.

Related to Very specific question about index notation

1. What is index notation and how is it used in scientific equations?

Index notation, also known as tensor notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent equations involving tensors. Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the physical properties of a system, such as velocity, force, or stress. Index notation uses indices to represent the different components of a tensor, making it easier to manipulate and solve complex equations.

2. How do I convert a formula written in traditional notation to index notation?

To convert a formula from traditional notation to index notation, simply replace each variable or term with its corresponding index, and use Einstein summation notation to represent repeated indices. It is important to keep track of the indices and their positions, as they determine the dimensionality and properties of the tensor in the equation.

3. Are there any advantages to using index notation over traditional notation?

Yes, there are several advantages to using index notation. It allows for a more compact and concise representation of equations, making them easier to write and understand. Index notation also follows a consistent set of rules, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations. Additionally, it is often used in higher-level mathematics and physics, making it a useful notation to learn for advanced studies.

4. Can index notation be used in all scientific fields?

Index notation is commonly used in mathematics and physics, but it can also be applied in other scientific fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is particularly useful in fields that deal with complex systems and equations, as it allows for a more efficient and organized representation of the equations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using index notation?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for when using index notation. One mistake is to mix up the indices, which can lead to incorrect calculations and solutions. It is also important to keep track of the dimensions and properties of the tensors in an equation, as using the wrong indices can result in incorrect results. Lastly, it is important to properly use Einstein summation notation when there are repeated indices in an equation.