Question about notation in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and position of a particle with a given initial velocity and varying acceleration. The method of using integrals to solve for velocity and position is mentioned, and it is confirmed that if the equation is written as a function of time, the arrows for vectors should still be included.
monac
So it says that a particle is going with a velocity of 5i m/s at t = 0 and varying acceleration a = 6√t j.
it asked me to find the velocity and position of the particle as a function of time.
So i did an integral of the acceleration to get velocity and did the integral of the velocity to get the position. I was wondering whenever i write the equation as a function of time, do i still need that arrow (→ ) on top of the v for vector and r for position?

Physics news on Phys.org
monac said:
So it says that a particle is going with a velocity of 5i m/s at t = 0 and varying acceleration a = 6√t j.
it asked me to find the velocity and position of the particle as a function of time.
So i did an integral of the acceleration to get velocity and did the integral of the velocity to get the position. I was wondering whenever i write the equation as a function of time, do i still need that arrow (→ ) on top of the v for vector and r for position?
If it's a vector, then yes, we usually put the arrow above the variable.

[itex]\vec{r}(t) = x(t)\hat{i}+t(t)\hat{j}+z(t)\hat{k}[/itex]

SammyS said:
If it's a vector, then yes, we usually put the arrow above the variable.

[itex]\vec{r}(t) = x(t)\hat{i}+t(t)\hat{j}+z(t)\hat{k}[/itex]

so if I solved the integral and I got like
r(t) = 8t^2 + 5t
I put the arrow on top of the arrow since it's a vector. I get that ...
But do I still include the i and j?
so would it be r(t) = 8t^2 i + 5t j ?

monac said:
so if I solved the integral and I got like
r(t) = 8t^2 + 5t
I put the arrow on top of the arrow since it's a vector. I get that ...
But do I still include the i and j?
so would it be r(t) = 8t^2 i + 5t j ?
Yes, use the [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] & [itex]\hat{j}\,.[/itex]

If the left side of an equation is a vector, then the right side must also be a vector.

Thank you! :)

Related to Question about notation in physics

1. What is the purpose of using notation in physics?

Notation in physics is used to represent and communicate complex mathematical and scientific concepts in a concise and standardized way. It allows scientists to express ideas and equations in a universal language that can be easily understood and used by others in the field.

2. What are some commonly used notations in physics?

Some commonly used notations in physics include Greek letters, mathematical symbols, and subscripts and superscripts. Examples include the symbol "π" for the mathematical constant pi, "Δ" for change or difference, and "x0" for initial position.

3. How does notation in physics differ from notation in other subjects?

Notation in physics is typically more precise and standardized compared to other subjects. This is because physics deals with highly complex and precise concepts, and using specific symbols and equations allows for clear communication and calculations.

4. Can notation in physics vary between different textbooks or research papers?

Yes, notation in physics can vary between different sources, especially when it comes to more advanced or specialized topics. It is important to clarify any unfamiliar notation when reading a new text or paper to ensure proper understanding.

5. Is there a standard notation system used in all branches of physics?

While there are some universal symbols and equations used in physics, there is no single standard notation system used in all branches. Different fields and subfields may have their own unique notations, but they are often based on the same fundamental principles and concepts.