Question about notation in Linear Algebra

In summary, a function T:V→W is a linear function if it maps vectors in V to W and satisfies the two equations ##T(v + v') = T(v) + T(v')## and ##T(cv) = cT(v)## for all vectors v and v' in V and scalars c. These properties are important in vector spaces where we are specifically interested in linear transformations.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
Given vector spaces V, W, and a function T:V→W , state the two equations that the function T must satisfy to be a linear function.

Does T:V→W mean a function that maps vectors in V into W? Or what does this actually mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
pretty much, yeah. The domain of the function is V and the codomain is W.

Likes 1 person
V or W could be the real numbers of course, or vector spaces of different dimensions.

T is a function that takes a vector ##v## in ##V## to a vector ##w## in ##W##. We are very used to the idea of function that take numbers as inputs. For instance, if ##f(x) = x^2 + 1##, then ##f## takes ##1## to ##2##. We denote this by ##f(1) = 2##.

So ##T: V \rightarrow W## means a function that takes v's to w's. I.e. ##T(v) = w##.

Now in vector spaces, any old function isn't that useful. We are specifically interested in linear transformations.

##T## is a linear transformation if the following two properties hold:

##1) \ T(v + v') = T(v) + T(v')## for all ##v, v' \in V##.
##2) \ T(cv) = cT(v)## for all ##v \in V## and scalars ##c##.

Related to Question about notation in Linear Algebra

1. What is the purpose of notation in Linear Algebra?

Notation is used in Linear Algebra to represent mathematical objects, such as vectors and matrices, in a concise and efficient manner. It allows for complex mathematical operations to be written and understood in a more simplified way.

2. How do I read and interpret notation in Linear Algebra?

Notation in Linear Algebra follows a specific set of rules and conventions, which can be learned through practice and studying. It is important to understand the meaning of each symbol and how they relate to each other in order to correctly interpret notation.

3. Can I use different notations in Linear Algebra?

While there are standard notations used in Linear Algebra, it is possible to use slightly different notations as long as they follow the same rules and conventions. It is important to be consistent in your use of notation throughout a problem or calculation.

4. How can I improve my understanding of notation in Linear Algebra?

The best way to improve your understanding of notation in Linear Algebra is through practice and studying. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using notation in Linear Algebra?

One common mistake is using the wrong notation for a specific mathematical operation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem or calculation before choosing the appropriate notation. It is also important to be consistent in your use of notation throughout the problem or calculation.