Question about notation (hyperplanes)

• Thread starter Gusbob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about showing that a function maps into a hyperplane in ℝ5. The target space is a set of vectors in ℝ5 where the dot product of the vector with itself 5 times is equal to 1. There is some confusion about the notation used, but it is clarified that the u^5 represents the 5th coordinate of a vector in ℝ5. Overall, the conversation concludes that the hyperplane is the set of points with coordinates (a, b, c, d, 1).
Gusbob

Homework Statement

I have a question for which I'm supposed to show that a function maps into "a hyperplane {u in ℝ5:u5=1}".

Does this mean that the target space is the set of vectors in ℝ5 such that the dot product of u with itself (5 times) is 1? Doesn't seem right...

Any clarification is appreciated.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The u^5 is meant to denote the 5th coordinate, which makes a lot of sense in my case. Thank you for reading anyways.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right. This is the "plane" of all points of the form (a, b, c, d, 1).

Did the original problem use superscripts (u5) or subscripts (u5)? The latter form would make it clearer that it's talking about the 5th coordinate of a vector in R5, rather than the 5th power of some number u.

Related to Question about notation (hyperplanes)

What is a hyperplane?

A hyperplane is a geometric term used to describe a subspace of a higher dimensional space. In simpler terms, it is a flat surface that divides a space into two parts.

How is a hyperplane represented in mathematical notation?

In mathematical notation, a hyperplane is typically represented as H or Π, followed by a subscript indicating the dimension of the space it is dividing. For example, Hn would represent a hyperplane in an n-dimensional space.

What is the equation of a hyperplane?

The equation of a hyperplane can be written as ax1 + bx2 + ... + cxn = d, where a, b, c are coefficients and x1, x2, ..., xn are variables representing the coordinates of a point on the hyperplane. The value of d is known as the constant term.

How can hyperplanes be visualized?

Hyperplanes can be visualized in different ways depending on the dimension of the space. In two dimensions, a hyperplane is a straight line, in three dimensions it is a flat plane, and in higher dimensions it can be represented as a series of intersecting planes.

What are some real-world applications of hyperplanes?

Hyperplanes have various applications in fields such as machine learning, data analysis, and geometry. They are used to classify data points, create decision boundaries, and solve optimization problems. In addition, hyperplanes are also used in aircraft navigation, signal processing, and computer graphics.