Question about normal distribution in probabilty

In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to the normal distribution and the concept of probability. The question is about determining the proportion of bottles that will be out of specifications in a filling process where the fill amount is a normally distributed random variable. It is clarified that the normal distribution represents the probability of a single bottle being out of specifications, but the expected proportion of bottles can be calculated. The alternative interpretation of calculating the distribution of the number of bottles out of spec is deemed too complex for an undergraduate exam.
Fady Alphons
I have a final exam in probability and I faced a question that made me think of the logic and the concept of the normal distribution.
Here is the question:

A food industry company imports oil in big tanks and refills bottles of different sizes with it. One of the main filling sizes is the 3000 ml, where the nominal value is 3000 ml but the actual size is a normally distributed random variable N(3000,4). The filling process acceptable specifications are 3000 ± 10 ml.
a) Determine the proportion of bottles that will be out of specifications.

My question is:
Based on my knowledge, I know that the normal distribution function would represent the probability that a single bottle would be out of specifications and not the proportion of bottles that will be out of specifications.

Am I right? If so, how can I solve such a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that with a finite number of bottles, you cannot determine this proportion - the best thing you can do is calculate the expected proportion, which is the same as the probability that a single bottle does not meet the specifications.
In the limit of an infinite amount of bottles, the fraction is the same as the probability for a single bottle.

I'm not an expert on statistics, but I think that the 4 in the N(3000,4) should tell you something about the shape of the distribution curve. I would use that to determine the equation of the distribution curve and then integrate between 10 and infinity at each end to determine the proportion that was outside of the specification.

Fady Alphons said:
I have a final exam in probability and I faced a question that made me think of the logic and the concept of the normal distribution.
Here is the question:

A food industry company imports oil in big tanks and refills bottles of different sizes with it. One of the main filling sizes is the 3000 ml, where the nominal value is 3000 ml but the actual size is a normally distributed random variable N(3000,4). The filling process acceptable specifications are 3000 ± 10 ml.

My question is:
Based on my knowledge, I know that the normal distribution function would represent the probability that a single bottle would be out of specifications and not the proportion of bottles that will be out of specifications.

The normal distribution here gives the distribution of fill amount per bottle. When you calculate the chance that the fill amount is not to specification, whatever that probability is, it can be interpreted in two (equivalent) ways.

1) It is the probability that when you randomly select one bottle its fill amount is not within specification

2) It is the percentage of all bottles that are not filled to specifications

Fady Alphons said:
Here is the question:

My question is:

You are right. They are being a little bit sloppy. I think that they mean determine the EXPECTED proportion of bottles that will be out of specifications.

The only other meaning it could have would be that they wanted you to calculate the distribution of the random variable that is the number of bottles out of spec in a given sample. But that is much too hard for an undergraduate exam. Besides, if that is what they wanted they would have written so.

Related to Question about normal distribution in probabilty

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a Gaussian distribution, is a statistical distribution that is commonly used to model continuous data. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around the mean. Many real-world phenomena such as heights, weights, and test scores follow a normal distribution.

2. How is a normal distribution represented mathematically?

A normal distribution is represented by its mean (μ) and standard deviation (σ). The mean represents the center of the distribution and the standard deviation represents the spread of the data. The equation for a normal distribution is:
P(x) = (1 / σ√(2π)) * e^(-(x-μ)^2 / 2σ^2)
where P(x) is the probability of a value x occurring.

3. What is the 68-95-99.7 rule for normal distribution?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, states that for a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations. This rule is useful for understanding the spread of data in a normal distribution.

4. How can a normal distribution be used in probability?

A normal distribution can be used in probability to calculate the likelihood of a certain event occurring. For example, if we know the mean and standard deviation of a normal distribution, we can use the distribution to calculate the probability of a value falling within a certain range. This is useful in many fields such as finance, economics, and psychology.

5. Can a normal distribution be used to model non-normal data?

In some cases, a normal distribution can be used to approximate non-normal data. This is because of the central limit theorem, which states that with a large enough sample size, the sample mean will be normally distributed regardless of the underlying distribution of the data. However, it is important to note that this only applies in certain situations and it is not always appropriate to use a normal distribution to model non-normal data.