Bivariate normal distribution- converse question

In summary, the book argues that if two random variables are uncorrelated and have a normal distribution, then their joint probability density function is also normal.
bobby2k
bivariate normal distribution-"converse question"

Hello, I have a theoretical question on how to use the bivariate normal distribution. First I will define what I need, then I will ask my question.

pics from: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BivariateNormalDistribution.html

We define the bivariate normal distribution, (1):
image.png

From this we get the marginal distributions:
image.png

No comes my question:

Let's say that we have 2 random variables x1 and x2, and we know that each marginal distribution satisfies (2) and(3), that is, we know they are normal, and we know their mean, and variance. Suppose we also know their correlation-coefficient p. How can we now say that equation (1) is the joint probability density function. I mean, we defined it one way, and got the marginals, what is the justification that if we have 2 marginals and their p, we can go back? I mean, it is not allways true that the converse is true, why can we assume the converse here?

They used this technique in my book when proving that [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] and [itex]S^{2}[/itex] are independent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/physicsfor[/b]

bobby2k said:
How can we now say that equation (1) is the joint probability density function.

A Wikipedia article claims we can't say that in the case [itex] \rho = 0 [/itex]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normally_distributed_and_uncorrelated_does_not_imply_independent.

However, it is possible for two random variables X and Y to be so distributed jointly that each one alone is marginally normally distributed, and they are uncorrelated, but they are not independent;

Perhaps you should give the exact statement of what your book proves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I have scanned the proof.
http://i.imgur.com/naRsk9s.jpg

The proof starts inside the green line, and the quote I am interested in starts inside the red line. I have however added some information that is before this, so you can see where it all comes from.

Hello, thank you for your question. Let me start by clarifying that the bivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the relationship between two continuous random variables. It is defined by the joint probability density function (PDF) given in equation (1) in your question. This means that when we have two random variables x1 and x2 that follow this distribution, the probability of them taking on certain values can be calculated using this equation.

Now, to address your question about the converse. The converse of a statement is when the order of the original statement is reversed. In this case, the original statement is that if we have two random variables x1 and x2 that follow the bivariate normal distribution, we can use equation (1) to calculate the joint probability density function. The converse of this statement would be that if we have two random variables x1 and x2 that have certain marginals (i.e. follow a normal distribution with known mean and variance) and a known correlation coefficient, we can assume that they follow the bivariate normal distribution.

The justification for this assumption lies in the properties of the bivariate normal distribution. One of the main properties is that the joint distribution of two variables that follow the bivariate normal distribution is completely determined by their marginals and their correlation coefficient. This means that if we know the marginals and the correlation coefficient, we can uniquely determine the joint distribution, which is given by equation (1). Therefore, it is valid to assume that if we have two random variables with known marginals and correlation coefficient, they follow the bivariate normal distribution.

In terms of using this technique to prove independence, it is important to note that the bivariate normal distribution is a special case where the correlation coefficient is 0, meaning that the two variables are independent. This is why it can be used to prove independence in certain cases.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of the bivariate normal distribution and its converse. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Bivariate normal distribution- converse question

What is the bivariate normal distribution and how is it related to the converse question?

The bivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the relationship between two variables. The converse question is a statistical concept that asks whether a certain relationship between two variables holds true in general or only in a specific case.

What is the formula for the bivariate normal distribution?

The bivariate normal distribution is described by the following formula:
f(x,y) = (1/2πσ1σ2√(1-ρ^2)) * e^(-1/2(1-ρ^2)((x-μ1)^2/σ1^2 + (y-μ2)^2/σ2^2 - 2ρ(x-μ1)(y-μ2)/σ1σ2))
where μ1 and μ2 represent the means, σ1 and σ2 represent the standard deviations, and ρ represents the correlation coefficient between the two variables.

What is the difference between the bivariate normal distribution and the multivariate normal distribution?

The bivariate normal distribution describes the relationship between two variables, while the multivariate normal distribution describes the relationship between multiple variables. The bivariate normal distribution is a special case of the multivariate normal distribution when there are only two variables involved.

How is the bivariate normal distribution graphically represented?

The bivariate normal distribution is typically represented by a bell-shaped curve on a two-dimensional graph. The center of the curve represents the means of the two variables, and the spread of the curve is determined by the standard deviations and correlation coefficient.

How is the bivariate normal distribution used in real-world applications?

The bivariate normal distribution is commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model the relationship between two variables. It is also used in fields such as finance, economics, and psychology to understand and predict behaviors and outcomes. For example, it can be used to analyze the relationship between stock prices and interest rates or to study the correlation between test scores and study habits.