Question about monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a certain type of amateur radio to scan millions of frequencies in order to search for alien radio waves. It is mentioned that any radio can be used for this purpose, but separating out the frequencies may require special software. Joining SETI@home is also suggested as an alternative option.
nukeman
Ok this does come from the movie "Contact" with jodie foster. Where she mintors space for aliens transmitting radio signals. I am sure lots of you have seen it :)

Now my question is, can you buy a certain type of radio(amateur), and scan millions of frequencies to search for alien radio waves?

I was asked this question, and was not able to give a educated answer.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nukeman said:
Now my question is, can you buy a certain type of radio(amateur), and scan millions of frequencies to search for alien radio waves?
Any radio will do - if your (analogue) TV isn't tuned to a channel the white noise is partly signals from space, some of it is even the microwave background from the big bang.

The tricky bit is separating out the frequencies, the efficient way to do this is to record all of them and separate them out in software with a Fourier transform. I don't know of a easily available digital correlator radio - but you can always join seti@home and deconvolve somebody elses signals.

Related to Question about monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space.

1. What is the purpose of monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space?

The purpose of monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space is to gather information about celestial objects and phenomena. This includes studying the composition and structure of planets, stars, and galaxies, as well as detecting any potential signs of extraterrestrial life.

2. How are radio waves/frequencies detected in space?

Radio waves/frequencies are detected in space using specialized telescopes and satellites that are equipped with radio receivers. These receivers are sensitive to the faint signals emitted by celestial objects and can amplify them for further analysis.

3. What types of information can be gathered from monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space?

Monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space can provide information on the temperature, chemical composition, and movement of celestial objects. It can also reveal the presence of magnetic fields and help scientists understand the formation and evolution of the universe.

4. How do scientists analyze the data collected from monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space?

Scientists use various techniques to analyze the data collected from monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space. This includes filtering out background noise, identifying specific wavelengths and frequencies, and comparing the data to known patterns and models.

5. What are some challenges in monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space?

Some challenges in monitoring radio waves/frequencies in space include interference from other sources such as human-made technology, limited signal strength over long distances, and the need for advanced technology and techniques to accurately analyze the data collected.